What is an average / good speed for leveling up?

Tx !
indeed I can only agree with what you wrote “make checking the site a habit”.
Actually, I have the page constantly opened on my laptop :grin:

Tx , indeed I discovered the v2 as well. Great stats !
Actually I was more interested by seeing others’ stats, kind of an “average” or a distribution, to see where people generally stand, to get an overview of where I could / should be myself in a couple of months, etc.

To be honest, also kind of a motivation thing, seeing that I am in the last quarter would probably give me a kick in the *** to work more :wink:

Yes Shirinai, I’m all in for consistency and agree there’s no good speed.

I’m starting my WK journey so just trying to see how others more advanced have done and taking their experience to “optimize” my learning process !
Eventually I don’t really care about the levels or the speed, since I have no objectives / deadlines - I do care about learning & memorizing :smile:

If you want to know my speed, I go max speed. The first level was 3 days 5 hours (I started late in an hour), the second 3 days and 4 hours, and the normal speed levels are all 6 days 20 hours except 3 days where I went 6 days 21 hours.

Of course, my speed would be abnormally fast

Hi,

What do you mean by “one skips vocabulary” ?

• Do you mean the purple cards of vocabulary ? (is it even possible to “skip” the vocabulary ?)
  • Or the vocabulary in the 3 example sentences given for each kanji ?

In my case :

• I just follow the SRS, meaning I learn & review the 3 types of cards (blue/pink/purple)
  • I do not learn the sentences - most are way too complicated for me :grimacing:

Tx for the link, no I haven’t read your guide yet.
Just opened it in another tab, waou, seems quite complete indeed :grinning:
Just read the “comments” about the guide, so definitely I will take time to read it entirely !!!
Will be a very good investment of my time since I’m just starting my WK journey.

PS : loved the reference to Tim Ferris as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right, haven’t thought about that. I can’t imagine skipping vocabulary just to level up faster.

It is. The only thing you need to do to level up is Guru 90% of the Kanji.

ok, tx, I didn’t know !

Anyway I’ll take it the easy way for me, just follow the SRS system basically.
Maybe when I understand more of the system I’ll play with it to try optimizing the experience, but for the time being I think I’ll just follow the system.

1 Like

Seems good for me, I’ll try to reach this, kind of 2 weeks for a level, I’ll take it !

1 Like

I recommend 2 weeks per level (about 12 items per day). You won’t need to devote hours per day and can have time for other learning.

I did the 7 days per level in the past and got burned out at 34 and reset.

3 Likes

I do 7 days per level now, BUT, big caveat, I actually reset and pretty much still know everything, so my correct percentage is really high, does keeping my workload low. Basically apprentice is a bit of vocab from the previous level, and current level items. Also, burns are only set to come in from early next month, so that’s helping, too. Mistakes I make at Master level are typically typos, or inattentiveness due to tv/people in the background. Or transitivity mistakes, I guess :sweat_smile: !

1 Like

Personally I also aim for 2 weeks per level, I’m currently doing a fixed number of 12 lessons every day. I usually have around ~100 reviews per day. The first levels took me 17 days (median).

But in general I can recommend to approach the right speed by starting out slow. Because you can start going quicker anytime later on, if it’s really too slow for you. But on the other hand, it takes time (several weeks) to slow down if you were too fast, and if you’re already burned out this can become really frustrating.

My typical time on level is 10 days and 23 hours.
I took level 6 slower to clear out the massive amount of reviews I was getting each day. That has really helped me during level 7 as I am moving older things to master or enlightened. I like to have (at least) the radicals of my current level at Guru 2 before moving on.

(I did not understand WaniKani when I first signed up and was getting frustrated at the words I knew but kept mixing up the on’ and kun’ = rage quit)

Unless the desire for competition or the need for speed is a truly important and/or motivating factor, the speed for leveling up is pretty much up to you.

There is nothing wrong or shameful with taking a month or few months to complete a level (especially if it’s a large or complicated level), and there is much to learn about the language outside of WaniKani including grammar, kana-only words, how to pronounce words properly and pitch, and getting used to reading and speaking. In addition to that, you may be working for a living or have many other responsibilities that need to be addressed and attended to.

The only really useful metric (if one wishes to call it that) is how well you are doing on reviews.

3 Likes

Master level typos kill me! :scream: :sob: :sob: :sob: :weary:
き & く are often mixed up because I am typing too fast and press enter before noticing.
I wish they were slightly more lenient with Japanese typos (especially when it is just copying the hiragana part of the word) but I understand why they can’t be :frowning:

1 Like

If you’re on desktop, you can use [Unmaintained] Do You Even Kana? Okurigana Matcher script to catch those mistakes. So you don’t have to go so far as the double check or ignore scripts to deal with this.

2 Likes

It’s possible to do it with scripts (that 3rd party users built - not on WK vanilla). Basically, only radicals and kanji influence the leveling up. When I mean vocabulary lessons, I mean the purple lessons indeed :slight_smile:

Basically, there’s a script that allows you to manage lessons however you see fit. You can choose to do radicals, kanji or vocabulary. The problem is that due to the fact that only radicals and kanji influence the leveling up (you’ll understand it better when reading my guide) and some people get too focused on just leveling up (over actually learning - gamification taken in the wrong way), they skip the vocabulary. Mind you, the vocabulary lessons are very important not only to learn the words, but also to learn the kanji, since those exact words use the latter :slight_smile:

My point in mentioning the vocabulary skip was that if one is skipping the vocabulary, one will have less lessons to worry about, so leveling up faster becomes much easier (though again, not good for your learning).

One of my big influences in me when it comes to always seeking to learn more :grin:

If you can remember them :sweat_smile: I do my reviews about 4 times a day yet I need about two weeks because I just can’t remember the pink ones. (Radicals and vocab are usually no problem for me).
8 days is pretty fast for most people.

1 Like

I’m not a particularly high level but I think the speed I am going at is aided by the fact that I’m not a complete beginner and keeping WK open all the time, so I can peek in and do a review every few hours when a handful of things come up.

Form1_2020-06-19_115351

Personally I’ve been doing all lessons as they come up and haven’t skipped anything. I have also been taking the time to write everything down (to try and really drill it in as well as practice) and, if I keep getting something wrong, write it time and again. I wonder, however, if L5 is the tipping point for this method since I woke up to 100+ lessons and have thus treated myself to 120 reviews in a few hours from now. :upside_down_face: