What I am doing. Is this right?

So I start learning Japanese for my third language. I realized that it was quite easy for me because my second language was Chinese. I realize that Kanji had the same characters like Chinese, but different pronunciation.
So, I am on level 3, but I am not learning anything new. I started to do all reviews, because then after I am done with learning everything, I will have to spend extra time on the mastery to Burnt. So, yeah, now I am stuck doing all of the reviews. I have finished all of the Apprentice radicals, kanji, and vocabulary! I am working up to the guru, so it will take awhile.
I never realized that Japanese was more easy for me, than others. I learned, that sometimes if you know Chinese or Korean, you will have more likelihood of understanding Japanese. It can be the opposite too, if you are learning Japanese here, then you are more likely to learn Chinese or Korean more easily.
What do you think?

While not technically related to Chinese, Japanese has historically borrowed a lot from the Chinese languages and this would indeed make it easier to learn one if you are already familiar with the other. If you already know hanzi, then I am guessing that learning the kanji won’t be too difficult. Although kanji are not 1 to 1 with hanzi: there are plenty of differences in terms of meanings and readings, even when borrowed from Chinese.

8 Likes

If kanji is not that much of an issue, I would recommend spending more time on other aspects of the language, like grammar, vocabulary, listening, and pronunciation.

6 Likes

The pronunciation is different from Chinese but you’re not learning anything new?

4 Likes

\textcolor{MediumPurple}{\huge \textsf{Hi}} {\huge \textsf{@DailyJapanese }} \textcolor{MediumPurple}{\huge \textsf{!}}

tenor

It’s great to have you here!

If you haven’t already, check out the WaniKani Knowledge Base and User Guide , as well as this topic for any questions you might have. This topic has some information from the all-mighty @crabigator, and here are the Community Guidelines. There is lots of good info here for new users like you!

If those don’t answer your questions, feel free to post something in your own thread like you’ve already done here! Everybody here is extremely helpful and is more than willing to answer any and all of your questions. If you still need help, send an email to hello@wanikani.com

In addition to WaniKani, there are tonnes of other resources available to help you learn Japanese!
You can check out this topic for a wealth of resources to guide the other aspects of your Japanese learning adventure, and this topic for help in starting to read content in Japanese.
You can also join one of the many Book Clubs in the forums for motivation and a good time!

Wanna just hang out in the community and get to know your fellow Wanikanians? Hop on over to the POLL thread and Campfire.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing you around!

2 Likes

So far, I am not learning anything new for Japanese, its kind of strange.

Another student i learned japanese at uni with told that the chinese exchange students she spent time during her exchange semester in Japan with definitely had an advantage with the kanji. But she had an advantage with the katakana. Japanese offeres definitely more than just the kanji and their readings. There are two other alphabets added compared to chinese and the addition of hiragana makes for quite a difference in grammar i suppose.

1 Like

You might want to try bunpro to learn Japanese grammar. It might be more useful to you than WaniKani at this point.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll look at it. Thanks!

Ohh, I understand know.

I started to learn chinese with a super basic level of japanese and I was amazed on how much hanzi i could understand so i get it.
I think you should focus on grammar and pronunciation.
Any advice on how to learn the pronunciations of hanzi? Im afraid of starting to mix them up

Just because someone studies Chinese doesn’t mean they’ll know ひと, みず, or つき, etc…

Maybe I’m just misunderstanding you. Are you saying you knew those already because you already knew some Japanese before this? Not because you already knew some Chinese?

1 Like

Oh, so I am not learning anything new for the lessons, because I am working on the review. I have already learned Hiragana and Katakana, I’m just working toward, learning what each “character” means, or phrase.

So for the pronunciation for Chinese, it is kind of easy to separate the two, for me at least. I just look for the tone of each pronunciation, It will be easier to separate the two, if you try to find the sound difference.
Does this help?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.