What else should I do to learn Japanese effectively?

Hello!
I just finished level 3 and I’m beginning level 4, before Wanikani I studied Japanese on and off I knew a small amount of vocabulary and how to speak some basic to intermediate level sentences with the help of my Japanese GCSE teacher (I only did half the GCSE: speaking and listening) I was wondering what else should I do to be effectively learning Japanese? I watch NHK World and can understand parts of Japanese sentences but what should I be doing to make my learning more intensive? Are they any things that I should be learning alongside Wanikani? Should I start reading books yet? I’ve only learnt about 90 kanji and I want to be more focused in my studies. I apologise if this post is repetitive this is my first post and I’m kinda nervous to be speaking on this platform, anyway Thank you to any one who reads this post and posts solutions.

Hello, nice to have you with us :slight_smile:
There is a lot of stuff you can do outside Wanikani and it will not only depend on your current level of knowledge, but also how much time/money you want to invest. E.g. do you want to study completely on your own or go to a class or even get a private tutor?
Here is a link to a different forum that suggests a lot of other material besides Wanikani for reading/listening/writing/speaking.

Think about what your weak points are and where you would like to improve :slight_smile: And find something you enjoy, e.g. you mentioned reading books. There will be lots of material suggested. Just try out different things and enjoy it :blush:

Thank you so much :hearts::hearts::hearts: I will definitely read the article, thank you for taking your time to help me with this I truly appreciate it !!

Grammar is the most important thing you should focus on aside from the kanji. Without it, even if you reach level 60 in Wanikani and know a ton of vocab, you wouldn’t be able to read any sort of Japanese sentence. Japanese grammar is very different up to having a SOV order instead of the SVO order found in English.

The recommendations link up above should have some grammar resources listed. However, the top two beginner grammar resources are the Genki textbooks (which also teaches some kanji and vocab) and Tae Kim’s Grammar Guide (which more directly teaches grammar without any vocab or kanji lessons. Although he does reference what kanji and vocab he uses before every lesson). Those are the things most people would recommend a beginner check out first.

Thank you very much :hearts::hearts::hearts: