What does the sentence ender ーし mean?

I hear this word aaloot when I practice listening to shows or podcasts.
I did a quick Google search and found some answers but didn’t quite get the grasp of it.

would this explanation

maybe you could share easy to understand examples with me. thank you :smile:

There are quite a few places that this grammar is discussed here’s one place.

When I get a moment, I’ll find you a video.

EDIT: Added

2 Likes

Generally speaking in most cases it’s a progressive. It is not as much a sentence ender, as a adjective, or even verb enhancer… which admittedly often lies at the end of a sentence.

ジョンは馬鹿です = John is a fool
ジョンは馬鹿ですし = John is being a fool

1 Like

thank you. the video was very easy to understand. I guess now I just have to use it with some of my friends to get used to it :ok_hand:t5:

1 Like

So 雨が降るですし implies that it’s raining right now?

End of the sentence is a bit misleading, because I would expect it to be … at the end?

My trusty Dict of Basic Japanese Grammar says “a conjunction to indicate ‘and’ in an emphatic way”, with rough English meaning “and what’s more; not only ~ but also ~; so”. It’s a more “emotional” form of connecting clauses than with the te-form?

It will never appear as a sentence ender like ーよ or something. But you can omit the end after し to “weaken the sentence and obscure the cause/reason”.

し is also the stem of する, so you need to check which し it is :slight_smile:

Examples:
このアパートはきれいだし、安い。 (This apartment is clean, and what’s more, it’s inexpensive).
遊びたいんだがあしたは試験だし遊べない。 (I would like to play, but there is an exam tomorrow, and I can’t fool around.)

It’s not quite that simple, as 雨が降る already says that exactly.
“Progressive verb” is something you might want to look up examples on, though it also might be called “processual”. It is not just that, though. As acm2010 stated it is also used as a continuing, inclusive “and”, and can be used to state a reason, such as 帰ろう... 寒いし “Let’s return home, it’s cold”

More often than not you’ll probably see it at the end of a ます polite form.

Hmmm should be 雨が降るですし ?

But thinking of it as an conjunction, with to clauses connected with and or with a connotation of a reason.

Technically could be fine with, “です” would just be politely reinforcing the observation.

I don’t think so because です is for state-of-being and doesn’t appear mid-sentence outside quotes, but I wont compete with you in grammatical bullshitting.

5 Likes

-です following a verb, especially an adjectival is not uncommon in casual language, especially with children, but you probably will not encounter it at all when studying textbook japanese.

Be as uppity as you want, but you will always sound incredibly stiff if you simply adhere to textbook language.

Nah, my problem is that you write stuff that doesn’t make any sense in a way that seems like everyone should sit up and listen because the truth finally arrived.

Grammatical vs “you sometimes hear it in casual speech with children if you would live in Japan” is not the same thing.

3 Likes

So you’re upset because you’re reading something that isn’t there. Okay then.
We’re all richer for this knowledge i’m sure, but i’m not sure why you have to be so combattive about it.

Each to their own, i guess. I won’t derail another topic because some american wanted a pointless verbal fight. You can have those elsewhere, like on reddit.

You can also refrain from posting on threads if your only intention is an attempt to derail or to berate someone in it.

I remember being taught in classes that this was used to imply a reason (among other reasons), which means it often shows up in progressive lists, but sometimes on its own as a way of implying one thing is cause for another.

There’s more going on under the grammar hood than it simply being another “because,” and that might be why there’s a bit more flexibility to it, but that helps parse something like 95 percent of its normal uses.

It’ll almost always be connected to another description, a conclusion, or a decisive statement. Sometimes a list of し clauses will end in a から clause to give the final reason.

2 Likes

When し comes at the end of a sentence, it’s kind of implying that there’s more that’s being left unsaid.

5 Likes

What Leebo said. It’s extremely common in Japanese to leave sentences incomplete because why say what the listener already understands just for the sake of grammar?

An English example might be, “I wanted to go to the store but it was raining, so…"

Or to make a better comparison with し, “My new teacher is smart, and pretty, and friendly, and…” (and then what’s left unsaid might be “…and so I like taking the class.”)

Edited to add my attempt at translating the last sentence:
新しい先生は頭がいいしきれいだしやさしいし。
(このクラスが楽しめます。)
Of course any corrections are welcome.)

2 Likes

Nothing in a discussion about grammar requires name-calling or personal attacks. Consider this an official warning.

This was never responded to, but frankly it should always be pretty clear as one is a 助詞 (接続助詞) and the other the 連用形 being used in a similar way to the Te-form, and is rarely used in speech, certainly not casual speech.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.