What does だり mean in バイだり?

I was watching the movie Sweat beans (あん) and just a few minutes into it the main character says バイだり or just ばいだり. I don’t have access to Japanese subs so I can’t be sure. He says this as some girls leave his shop (after he asks them to leave). They answer またね and バイバイ. And his words are translated as bye. But I don’t understand what the だり adds if the first part is just “bye”. I’ve seen it used as in “doing things as” and in the dictionary it says it can be a command in some sense, so is that it? Something like “Go bye, bye now”, since he wanted them to leave :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Are you sure it wasn’t まいどあり?

6 Likes

It could be mai in the beginning for sure. I can’t really here the o sound but he might say it really fast. I think you nailed it. Thank you!

1 Like

Are you talking about だり like… のんだり, where it’s attached to a verb (in my example, のむ)? I don’t think バイだり could be something like that.

I’ve watched あん. It wasn’t nearly as warm and fuzzy as I’d been hoping…

2 Likes

Yeah, that was what I was referring to, but I had the same sense as you and didn’t feel it made sense.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.