What do you want now? (Request extensions here)

EskimoJo said...
Ethan said...
EskimoJo said... Please a userscript that produces the shaky screen and a message to 'be careful' if I get everything right except the okurigana. If the answer is in the question and I get it wrong, it's obviously a typo!
I know I should just slow down, but if English typos are allowed...
I just made one that does the shaky shakes when you get the okurigana wrong, which is just as good. (the only difference would be that what you're asking for would fail you if you got both the kanji and the okurigana wrong and this one just shakes until you get the okurigana right... then fails you)

/t/UserScript-Do-You-Even-Kana-Okurigana-Matcher/8440/1 
 Huh? So I fail anyway if I get the okurigana wrong?
 No I'm talking about what it seems you requested, a script that shakes if you get everything right except the okurigana. My script doesn't check if you got everything else right, that would involve at least one more loop and a couple more variables. It only objects if you get the okurigana wrong.

If you get the the Kanji right and the okurigana wrong it won't submit, so you won't fail after you correct the okurigana. If you got both wrong and correct only the okurigana, then you would fail. Perhaps the logical difference is of little consequence for its purpose but thus is the mind of a coder. :P

By the way, it will give false positives (ie, let you submit) if you mix katakana with hiragana in your answer, so uh... don't.

I’ve been looking for an app that could let me download the kanjis I’ve already learned with their kun’yomi/On’yomi sounds as pdf, but I haven’t found anything yet. I this could be awesome. 

Hello!

Lately I’ve had the chance to do a couple of WK sessions with my girlfriend, who is Japanese. She has been surprised by the amount of very uncommon vocabulary, according to her, that WK teaches. While I do think that, although uncommon, the vocabulary taught by WK is extremely useful to learn kanji, I am starting to wonder if there can be a way to mark words in order of frequency/commonness in Japanese - like IMI, for example, does. This way I could differenciate between vocabulary worth memorizing for kanji practice and vocabulary that I should actively learn and add to my toolbox.

Do you think this kind of “tagging” could be done with a userscript? I know nothing about coding, I’m afraid, so I’m not even sure it’s possible to cross-reference WK words with frequency lists :( 

ivanlombardi said... Hello!

Lately I've had the chance to do a couple of WK sessions with my girlfriend, who is Japanese. She has been surprised by the amount of very uncommon vocabulary, according to her, that WK teaches. While I do think that, although uncommon, the vocabulary taught by WK is extremely useful to learn kanji, I am starting to wonder if there can be a way to mark words in order of frequency/commonness in Japanese - like IMI, for example, does. This way I could differenciate between vocabulary worth memorizing for kanji practice and vocabulary that I should actively learn and add to my toolbox.

Do you think this kind of "tagging" could be done with a userscript? I know nothing about coding, I'm afraid, so I'm not even sure it's possible to cross-reference WK words with frequency lists :( 
This sounds like a pretty good idea. Maybe a colour coded system. I like colours... 
However, I'd be willing to bet that most of the words are more common than she thinks. It's simply being an adult, hearing/seeing/saying the words washes over her without her noticing. So much of our language is instinctive and subconsciously used as an adult, that it is always difficult to decide without actual studies what is common, normal or natural. This is why immersion and the consumption of native materials is vital.
EskimoJo said...

Lately I've had the chance to do a couple of WK sessions with my girlfriend, who is Japanese. She has been surprised by the amount of very uncommon vocabulary, according to her, that WK teaches. While I do think that, although uncommon, the vocabulary taught by WK is extremely useful to learn kanji, I am starting to wonder if there can be a way to mark words in order of frequency/commonness in Japanese - like IMI, for example, does. This way I could differenciate between vocabulary worth memorizing for kanji practice and vocabulary that I should actively learn and add to my toolbox.

Do you think this kind of "tagging" could be done with a userscript? I know nothing about coding, I'm afraid, so I'm not even sure it's possible to cross-reference WK words with frequency lists :( 
This sounds like a pretty good idea. Maybe a colour coded system. I like colours... 
However, I'd be willing to bet that most of the words are more common than she thinks. It's simply being an adult, hearing/seeing/saying the words washes over her without her noticing. So much of our language is instinctive and subconsciously used as an adult, that it is always difficult to decide without actual studies what is common, normal or natural. This is why immersion and the consumption of native materials is vital.
 I agree with Ivanlombardi.  I did the exact same thing a few months ago...sat down with my wife and did some reviews, and she also mentioned how uncommon a lot of those words are...like as in, she never uses them.  Confirmed with her father later on when we were up in the Fukushima area a few weeks ago, they just aren't used anymore.  We likened it to someone learning English and learning the word "beltway" or "grifter"....sure they are English words, and if we saw them we'd most likely understand them, but for someone learning the language they are completely useless.  I am guessing that in order to implement some of the kanji they have to use words easy to remember or easy to recall in the beginning.

kairu said...
EskimoJo said...

I agree with Ivanlombardi.  I did the exact same thing a few months ago...sat down with my wife and did some reviews, and she also mentioned how uncommon a lot of those words are...like as in, she never uses them.  Confirmed with her father later on when we were up in the Fukushima area a few weeks ago, they just aren't used anymore.  We likened it to someone learning English and learning the word "beltway" or "grifter"....sure they are English words, and if we saw them we'd most likely understand them, but for someone learning the language they are completely useless.  I am guessing that in order to implement some of the kanji they have to use words easy to remember or easy to recall in the beginning.

Can you give us some examples? I've only been up to level 34, but the only word I can't imagine being used/haven't heard or seen used is 'anaba' and maybe tetsujin?

I’d really, reeeally like if there was a script that showed the kanji and vocab with different fonts at the same time! I get too used to wanikani’s blocky font, but the problem won’t be solved by changing font in browser settings, since I’d just get used to that font only as well.

Something like (sans-serif, serif (uh can you say this about kanji?), handwritten etc.):

being shown when I click “item info”… Or something.

An app that plays the audio of Japanese words from WK in Firefox and requires the English meaning to be typed would be great. There’s already an app for that in Chrome (/t/Is-WaniKani-not-hard-enough-for-you-listening-comprehension/1148).

Also, something like Kaniwani but without the SRS would be great - an app that just prompts for J-input in response to an English word.

Here's an idea for an extension: A facility where you can enter a number of date ranges for when you'll be on holiday or otherwise busy.

When you go to the lessons page, WaniKani could then warn you that anything you learn at that point would likely be reviewed in one of your busy periods.

It probably doesn't matter so much for enlightened items, since a week either way won't matter as much as guru and mastered items.

Something like small batch review sessions  would be good.
You can choose from something like 5,10 or 20(or a custom number you enter) items and the review queue will have just that amount, still in random order like regular review sessions.
I think it would be neat at least motivation wise to have these micro goals you can sneak in any time you have a few minutes of free time.

ficdogg said... Something like small batch review sessions  would be good.
You can choose from something like 5,10 or 20(or a custom number you enter) items and the review queue will have just that amount, still in random order like regular review sessions.
I think it would be neat at least motivation wise to have these micro goals you can sneak in any time you have a few minutes of free time.
 Easy to be done,  however you can achieve that by using the "Single" option in any Review Ordering userscript, and then you feel free to do reviews while you have free time.

I do a lot of small batch reviews in this way everyday (10~25 items) while walking, subway, bus, etc. 
alucardeck said...
ficdogg said... Something like small batch review sessions  would be good.
 Easy to be done,  however you can achieve that by using the "Single" option in any Review Ordering userscript, and then you feel free to do reviews while you have free time.

I do a lot of small batch reviews in this way everyday (10~25 items) while walking, subway, bus, etc. 
 I figured I could do something like that, but I kind of like the random order, and not having the reading and meaning be right after the other, makes it a bit harder and, at least for me helps build better recall for the next time around.

PS, doing reviews while walking... those are some serious multitasking skills you got there :D

WK Audio Prompt

A command or button that plays the audio for the vocabulary when you are prompted to input the English meaning. E.g. when prompted to input the English meaning of 国益, I can push key or button [y] to prompt WK to play the audio file for that vocabulary. The idea is to integrate audio responsiveness into WK, rather than training merely kanji recall.

The big problem, of course, will be not looking at the vocab kanji. I’ve no easy solution, but at the very least the option would be nice. Maybe the script could include a default option to cover up the kanji in cases of vocab requiring English input. You could hit another button or hover the cursor over the blocked kanji to reveal the characters, if you can’t respond to the audio.

Aleithian said... WK Audio Prompt

A command or button that plays the audio for the vocabulary when you are prompted to input the English meaning. E.g. when prompted to input the English meaning of 国益, I can push key [x] or button [y] to prompt WK to play the audio file for that vocabulary. The idea is to integrate audio responsiveness into WK, rather than training merely kanji recall.

The big problem, of course, will be not looking at the vocab kanji. I've no easy solution, but at the very least the option would be nice. Maybe the script could include a default option to cover up the kanji in cases of vocab requiring English input. You could hit another button or hover the cursor over the blocked kanji to reveal the characters, if you can't respond to the audio.
I would love to also hear audio when asked for meaning, although that'd mean that all reviews have to be tested in reading-meaning order.
Audio instead of kanji wouldn't work though - what would you input if しえい was read out? Or other homonyms?
EskimoJo said...
Aleithian said... WK Audio Prompt

A command or button that plays the audio for the vocabulary when you are prompted to input the English meaning. E.g. when prompted to input the English meaning of 国益, I can push key [x] or button [y] to prompt WK to play the audio file for that vocabulary. The idea is to integrate audio responsiveness into WK, rather than training merely kanji recall.

The big problem, of course, will be not looking at the vocab kanji. I've no easy solution, but at the very least the option would be nice. Maybe the script could include a default option to cover up the kanji in cases of vocab requiring English input. You could hit another button or hover the cursor over the blocked kanji to reveal the characters, if you can't respond to the audio.
I would love to also hear audio when asked for meaning, although that'd mean that all reviews have to be tested in reading-meaning order.
Audio instead of kanji wouldn't work though - what would you input if しえい was read out? Or other homonyms?
 That's certainly a problem, but it's a problem in spoken language too. Granted, context helps - so ideally you'd have the ignore button installed if you know the meaning but got it wrong in that instance.

Or, if someone could just port the WK Audio Trainer over to Firefox from Chrome, that would also be awesome.

It’s not exactly what you were asking for, but maybe someone would be interested in my review audio tweak script.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/10184-wanikani-review-audio-tweak

allow audio to be played after review meaning questions, when reading has been previously answered correctly.
also includes enable autoplay when incorrect setting (default: off). this was requested by someone?

kobayashi said... It's not exactly what you were asking for, but maybe someone would be interested in my review audio tweak script.

allow audio to be played after review meaning questions, when reading has been previously answered correctly.
also includes enable autoplay when incorrect setting (default: off). this was requested by someone?
 Okayyyyyy that sounds awesome!
kobayashi said... It's not exactly what you were asking for, but maybe someone would be interested in my review audio tweak script.

Oh, cool! I'll try it. :)

I’d be interested in a link/hotkey that takes you to the item’s page in a new tab during reviews/lessons. If anyone knows of AutoHotkey, I made something that does this fairly well using that program, but it still doesn’t work right for radicals, because of the way the site is laid out (i.e., radical pages are listed by their meaning, not their character), and because I was having difficulty highlighting certain radicals. It only works for radicals if you have the info box open.

Here’s my code if it helps anyone take out some of the prep work—if anyone’s even interested. I don’t really know the WaniKani API nor much of the coding needed for Greasemonkey scripting.
http://pastebin.com/5Pmg913Q

Is there a script that just has lighting mode? I don’t like the old dashboard forcast thing in the wanikani app.