What do you want now? (Request extensions here)

Just another update. The script seems to be working inconsistently. I’m almost certain I’ve seen the script work before, but I’ve definitely had several instances where I was sure I’d added a synonym only to find during reviews that it wasn’t there. I confirmed this today by adding a synonym during quiz and then checking the item page. The synonym didn’t take during the quiz (even though it was there, WK didn’t accept it as a valid answer), and it was subsequently not on the item page. It also had the strange side effect of blocking synonyms that had been added before (these synonyms did make it to the item page though). I just did a quick test using some items and it doesn’t seem that having synonyms during the lesson was the cause; the lesson-input synonyms appeared during the quiz, the quiz-input synonym didn’t take during the quiz, but it did transfer over to the item page. It may have something to do with trying to input synonyms in the quiz for multiple items?

Oh, also confirmed that the space key causes the screen to jump, f key closes the dropdown menu (so you can’t add any synonyms with f in them), and backspace doesn’t work. These are pretty minor though, just submitting for completeness :stuck_out_tongue:

[EDIT] Resolved for my dumb ass

Hello, all! I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with an issue I’ve found on the forums.

Whenever I try to CTRL+F something, the forum’s search bar prevents my browser from opening its search bar and finding/highlighting all the occurrences of the word. Instead, I have to use the forum’s search bar, which will only take me to the specific post that has the word. Useful if I’m trying to find a post, but overall, I can’t seem to search large wiki posts for the one API or resource they mentioned, since the bar just takes me to the top of the post. Maybe there’s a better keyboard shortcut or something I could do in the settings, but I’ve searched and haven’t found anything.

If there isn’t an easy fix, would it be possible to make a script to suppress that unless I hit the search button, like on almost all other websites?

Also, when the WaniKani search highlights a word, it’s pretty hard to find, since it’s a light shade of yellow against white (with the normal theme). In my normal browser, for example, it’s usually a bright pink. If there isn’t an easy workaround for CTRL+F, could someone either show me how to/make a script to be able to manually change the color, or at least select a higher contrast color for highlighting?

Hope I’m not requesting too much! Thanks a bunch.

press CTRL+F twice
works for me in firefox, win10

:grinning: Thank you!

I would like to see a script that pulls up a “importance” or “frequency of use” in the description of a vocab word. This stems from the annoyance of learning 15 synonyms and not knowing which one is actually more commonly used for a while.

A script that will allow me to choose which kanji and words are in each new lesson, from any level. :slight_smile:

No script will ever allow you to study material you do not have access to

I wonder if you could make a “shake, try again” script for first-try wrong entries on leeches-in-apprentice only. The leech trainer is great, but it would be better to have feedback during reviews to forcibly check and break wrong answer cycles. I don’t have much time to train leeches in addition to keeping up with normal reviews.

If you could apply this script to only leeches over a certain threshhold of failures and the meaning / reading with the highest rate of failure, I think it would be most helpful. Especially if it brought up your notes or displayed hints you created for it at the same time, so you could see the kanji and the hint in the same space. :thinking:

Is this pie in the sky, or is some of this idea possible?

I guess you could use an automatic leech detector, but a “check this box to mark it a leech” works for me, too.

I’m looking for something that will help people who aren’t starting to learn kanji from zero. Maybe something that will automatically mark correct kanji I already know so I don’t have to spend as much time on lower levels reviews. Ideally I would want to just be able to pre-burn certain kanji that I know already, but I think an auto answer so you don’t have to see would be the next best thing. Note, I’m not trying to make the time between reviews smaller or anything, just cut the parts I already know out of the reviews so I don’t have to waste time doing those.

Just as a note, the scripts run on the host machine, so you can only do what a user has access to. The SRS stages, burning, etc. is handled on the WK server, so hiding/processing the items you don’t like is the maximum you can do (except for really messing around in the web app :wink: )

Yeah I figured, that’s why I was hoping for something that will hide them.

User and fake levels
I plan to hit level 10 tomorrow. I also want to start reading simple texts. With this I want to be able to add private vocabulary to WaniKani. So I had a look at the API and pondered a litte bit.
Getting data is pretty easy. E.g.

wkUserInfo = “https://www.wanikani.com/api/user/my_API_key/user-information
def getjsonbolus(wkUserInfo ):
response = urllib.request.urlopen(url)
data = response.read()
return json.loads(data.decode(‘utf8’))

So I think the following plan could work:

• Put vocab data in your browsers local storage and give them e.g. a level 100.
  • The reorder ultimate script is already messing around with the review list. So it should be possible to get local vocab if available.
  • When you got an answer (Right or wrong) you have to check if the level is 100 and record it in the local storage instead of sending it to wanikani.com.
  • Also you could put regular entries in your local storage where you e.g. want to fake the progress level.
  • Anyways. Any idea what the timestamp numbers in the API data mean? Seconds since 1970?

So that’s my plot in a nutshell. Before going into more detail I would like to know whether there are some glaring plot holes! :slight_smile:

If you want your script to last for a while, you should use API v2. (Search the forums for into). The URL you listed above is v1.

The timestamps in APIv1 are seconds since 1970. APIv2 uses ISO date strings.

I feel like this probably already exists … but I couldn’t find it … which might mean that it’s actually impossible …

I’d like a script to add to the home page a display of how many reviews (and lessons) I have done so far today. If I was in the 0/0 club I wouldn’t need it, but I’m trying to slowly make progress towards joining that club, and it would be useful for that.

I created a topic about this a few days ago, but perhaps this would be a better place to post this request:

I would love a script that will add a heatmap of past reviews day by day? I mean something like you find on the stats page of Bunpro or like this extension for Anki:

I’ve found this type of heatmap tool to add another layer of fun motivation to doing daily reviews.

Thanks for anyone who could help with this.

Hello fellow scripters!

Here is a little request:

When doing lessons (i.e. when the URL is https://www.wanikani.com/lesson/session ), and a vocabulary lesson item is displayed, I’d like to see (under the Breakdown tab) all user synonyms for each kanji displayed.

What it looks like currently for me

What I want it to look like

In nitty-gritty detail: I’d like div elements (with margin-top: 0) appended to each existing kanji meaning div.pure-u-1-4, in the region of the DOM nested under the div#voc-supplement-breakdown, generated from the user_synonyms Array retrieved from the API, to result in something that looks like the left hand side of this screenshot:

Rationale

WaniKani mnemonics often only are written from the perspective of the primary English text meaning given to a kanji. But many kanji have multiple meanings in English, and often they would be easier to memorize using one of the alternative meanings. If these alternative meanings of each kanji were visible at the same time as the explanation of the vocabulary were given, then it’d be easier for users to create their own, better mnemonic or explanation.

Also, and most importantly for me, this would work well with my [Userscript] WaniKani Bulk Add Kanji User Synonyms script.

A heatmap that shows a past reviews day by day would be really motivating IMO. I mean something like you find on the stats page of Bunpro or like this extension for Anki: review-heatmap-1

I’ve found this type of heatmap tool to add another layer of fun motivation to doing daily reviews.

Thanks to anyone who can help with this.

I made a similar post requesting this here also btw:
https://community.wanikani.com/t/review-heatmap-script/

You also made the same request in this thread 17 days ago…

Sorry about that! I didn’t realize they were the same. I’ll stop spamming. :hot_face:

This is an idea that I know at least me and these two people would appreciate if someone were able to make it. The idea is that tapping the Enter key with your pinky a lot can get pretty straining for some people, especially when you have to do it twice. There are scripts that eliminate double tapping (WaniKani Improve 2.2.2. and the Lightning Script) and some that eliminate tapping completely (like auto-commit), but the first two only get rid of the one tap, and the third gives you less control and makes it easier to cheat (even with the add-on, which I find confusing, involving percentage accuracy). Unfortunately, I personally can’t do anything to help with it because I know nothing about scripting. I wonder if just a single tap of the space bar would be better though? Since the idea is to eliminate repeated actions? If it was just one tap, it would also be nice if it was compatible with WaniKani Improve 2.2.2., but that might be pretty complicated, I wouldn’t know.

Anyways, just an idea if anyone has the ability, time, or interest to do it.

EDIT: Oh, I just realized that a single space wouldn’t work because sometimes in English a space is needed with certain words. Maybe you could work around this, but I’d imagine it would be difficult.