What do you want now? (Request extensions here)

I would like an extension that yanks audio from somewhere in a sentence and alone. But I want the sentence to be from somewhere NOT tatoeba or the other horrible corpus. Somewhere that Japanese wrote the sentences.

I do understand this is a tall order but the reasoning comes from a guy by the name of Idahosa.

Also I support the pitch accent thing.

If you could somehow pull example sentences and phrases from Eijiro/ALC that’d be great, but those also tend to be an order of magnitude more complicated than the ones from Tatoeba/Tanaka Corpus…

Daijiten’s sentences are good too, but those definitely aren’t freely available.  Honestly, while they’re not perfect, Tatoeba’s sentence database is the best available compromise among availability, accuracy, applicability and price.

Apraxas said...Userscript that shows a little mark on items that will be Burned/Necessary for level up in the review window
Ooo good idea! Yes this.
Also, I know you said it'd be difficult or something like that, but for your Lesson order extension, please reorder everything and not have the need to refresh in order to reorder only 4 items. Pleeaaase!
1 Like

Sounds like what we need is a WaniKani shell that handles the API calls e.t.c. that you can attach the different functionality to. 

This was brought up in another thread, but a “wrap it up” button would be great.  So if you get a reading wrong, exit out of the session, come back in, remember the right reading and know the correct meaning, it still gets downgraded.

2 Likes

Now that we have that handy-dandy notes feature, what do you all think about adding notes to the dashboard right next to Vocab, Kanji, Radicals, Levels in it’s own little circle/button/thing?

I think that it would be cool to have all your notes organized in one space.

Some people write a note for each and every item, but if you are like me and write notes for problem items, than I think that it would greatly benefit studying and reviewing said problem items if they were all organized in one place.

At the very least, it would be nice to have a notes list under the Lattice or mark each Radical, Kanji, Vocab in the Lattice with something indicating that that item has a note.

Just a little red ticker/flag like they have for “NEW” items that indicates that an item has a note would be good enough for me.

1 Like

A simple JavaScript that you can paste to your android browser to reorder lessons and reviews
Tampermonkey on android is useless…

Pyxzure said... A simple JavaScript that you can paste to your android browser to reorder lessons and reviews Tampermonkey on android is useless...
 I know that "WaniKani Mobile" has an option to enable the reorder script (and lots of other goodies). You should check it out. /t/WaniKani-Mobile-End-of-Support/2134/1

Saponutti said...Ooo good idea! Yes this.
Also, I know you said it'd be difficult or something like that, but for your Lesson order extension, please reorder everything and not have the need to refresh in order to reorder only 4 items. Pleeaaase!
 You could just increase your lesson batch size to 10 and have 9 ordered items at once.
jakobd said...
Snave said... A plug in that adds accent number (the bit in square brackets) to the expanded info page on vocab items by yoinking it mercilessly from Excite.co.jp. Naturally, unless a perfect match is found in both reading and kanji, one is simply not listed. If you wish to take this a step further, the number could be displayed using the underline/overline/hook method on the reading.

The data would ideally be looked up, parsed and added to the page after loading to favour pop-up over extended load times.
 These?

What do they mean?

Those are indeed the ones. Display as a number would suit me fine, but the most approachable way is to superimpose a coloured hooked line over the kana reading as many J-J dictionaries do. I’ll provide a loose example below. For every part not underlined, just imagine there’s an overline to make it one seamless kinky snake. X means a mora (basically each full sized kana and half sized tsu, but not other half sized kana). Assume all words have a trailing particle (this is why hooks down at the end matter and define the difference between an N pitch accent and a 0 pitch accent on an N-morae word).

[0] = X|XXX
[1] = X|XXX
[2] = X|X|XX
[3] = X|XX|X
[4] = X|XXX|

Note that there is always a shift between morae one and two, and with the sole exception of an pitch accent 1, the shift is upward.

Should such an extension be made, and you want to be exceedingly awesome, having the snake pop up on your kana input after it has been deemed correct would be amazing as it’d allow users to test themselves, albeit in a non-assessed way.

2 Likes
Snave said...
[...]
Those are indeed the ones. Display as a number would suit me fine, but the most approachable way is to superimpose a coloured hooked line over the kana reading as many J-J dictionaries do. I'll provide a loose example below. For every part not underlined, just imagine there's an overline to make it one seamless kinky snake. X means a mora (basically each full sized kana and half sized tsu, but not other half sized kana). Assume all words have a trailing particle (this is why hooks down at the end matter and define the difference between an N pitch accent and a 0 pitch accent on an N-morae word).

[0] = X|XXX
[1] = X|XXX
[2] = X|X|XX
[3] = X|XX|X
[4] = X|XXX|

Note that there is always a shift between morae one and two, and with the sole exception of an pitch accent 1, the shift is upward.

Should such an extension be made, and you want to be exceedingly awesome, having the snake pop up on your kana input after it has been deemed correct would be amazing as it'd allow users to test themselves, albeit in a non-assessed way.
 Do you happen to have some audio examples for the different pitch accents?
nqthqn said...
  • Have kanji and vocab appear in random fonts and font sizes, so the user will be able to recognize kanji in all shapes and sizes
 I really like this idea but I think there should be an option to exclude current level kanji and radicals.
Also I've but wondering for I while if there'd be an easy way to compile a word list using the rest of the first 2500 frequency kanji. Which also contains words utilizing all the WaniKani Kanji. That way they could be inputted into memrise or anki so people could continue learning new kanji and vocab through SRS after finishing the level 50 kanji. Here's the specific kanji I had in mind incase that makes it any easier.

01.浦 塚 郡 邸 噴 陥 覇 据 栽 煕 慢 荘 芳 鯨 徐 偏 軟 盧 渕 貫 殊
02.浩 搭 虐 惨 諭 拐 梶 没 倫 胆 剰 磯 賠 錦 陳 披 艇 智 栃 唆 軒
03.舗 玄 壌 貞 彦 啓 丹 稿 随 鎖 釈 頂 昌 慶 繊 浄 靖 胞 寛 丈 拍
04.膨 騰 遇 須 孜 准 曽 之 糧 茨 郊 菱 弘 宏 秩 牲 祥 孤 李 擁 阿
05.恒 旭 幌 緯 喚 陵 卸 嶌 枯 渦 趙 慌 敢 笹 睦 醸 槙 妖 窃 瑞 曹
06.峻 肪 釧 荻 嶋 鷹 篠 胡 閑 楠 姻 擬 鴨 麹 巌 薩 樺 燥 樽 窮 朽
07.哨 洲 盲 庶 乃 賓 捉 椿 呈 寅 愉 亮 栗 勲 那 呉 蓮 累 隻 享 楊
08.樋 漆 猶 粗 奔 幡 蘇 硫 隅 旋 琶 琵 詠 崔 浪 慨 甚 袖 践 嶺 淵
09.凝 痕 粕 叙 堪 循 祐 叔 朴 劉 瓦 榎 疎 弦 紘 肇 篤 謡 粛 葛 峠
10.悼 腎 閲 顕 芦 拙 辻 喝 毅 沙 俣 呆 玲 惜 岬 芥 傑 弥 召 鷲 暁
11.帆 淑 郁 剖 漬 姜 獅 摂 灘 椎 逸 湘 猪 迭 癒 冨 崇 嘱 鶏 該 桂
12.尚 媒 輔 錠 扶 茅 柿 匠 秦 腸 殻 龍 羅 凡 蒲 敦 堺 坪 酬 愚 濁
13.其 戯 酷 藩 峡 窒 紡 喬 忌 挫 柴 穀 悠 遮 憾 舶 函 胎 款 弔 猟
14.諏 薫 郭 挟 遍 倶 乙 聡 欄 窪 圭 瓶 厘 膚 桐 偉 錯 嘉 疾 鄭 譜
15.鵬 菅 絹 伏 鼓 衡 肯 畿 鎌 俸 膜 畠 紺 伐 碑 紳 亜 酵 雀 縫 飽
16.洪 陪 佳 轄 曙 虜 耕 縛 尿 釜 磐 脂 冠 憤 弊 逓 恭 髄 萩 奉 肖
17.媛 濯 屯 稔 吟 伍 沸 雌 綾 怠 亨 亘 宰 辰 慈 礁 悦 晃 痴 傍 晋
18.槽 柏 筑 淳 憂 苗 鎮 紋 遷 霞 聯 寂 赴 駿 蘭 遭 赦 兜 頒 奄 剥
19.屏 庵 襄 溥 烏 酪 醍 某 桟 酌 殉 禍 巷 鍼 謹 綜 碓 畔 啄 鋳 曼
20.翠 肢 嫡 粟 厨 橘 畝 壕 餌 皐 祇 壬 狸 逗 芹 凧 謳 喧 慕 鱗 杞
21.鯉 巴 唄 釘 杭 縞 撫 牡 舛 柚 藁 篇 煩 瑠 洒 渥 帥 癌 轍 偕 堆
22.凄 鱒 丑 緋 尉 彭 溢 姚 詫 鯛 欽 猷 嗜 狼 逢 嗅 抹 妄 倹 醜 惧
23.鮭 瘤 糞 藝 惟 吊 僑 禎 楕 苑 燕 琢 蹴 惣 牢 胚 鵜 峯 瓜 藍 蹄
24.炒 酉 琉 遼 隈 匂 惇 槌 褐 狐 鉾 旛 宵 訃 頚 篆 煎 凱 諦 厦 倣
25.襟 碧 儒 楼 暉 梁 艶 袁 毬 溜 怜 廉 喘 緻 匡 杵 濡 畏 恣 劾 已
26.珂 泌 悌 儲 貰 惚 榊 槻 播 噺 舘 裾 湧 峙 寡 窯 椙 犀 撚 蔑 蛭
27.膳 檄 侠 甕 罵 尭 絆 朋 矩 簑 叢 頬 凌 巳 茜 拭 庸 舩 罷 只 餅
28.嗣 鮫 硝 坐 洛 侮 倭 蒔 揃 股 藏 搾 赳 矯 剃 淘 呂 浙 此 礒 闊
29.但 喋 樟 桝 卯 蝶 旺 藻 魁 蔦 汎 彪 宕 簗 箕 搜 瑛 彗 廟 葵 遥
30.串 漸 欣 嶽 偲 尖 鞍 冤 燈 迦 杜 皓 洸 或 喉 澤 帖 錫 竪 湊 勅
31.牟 麓 狛 侯 宋 杖 玩 姑 翁 埴 逐 於 蒙 戴 升 腫 薮 薔 漕 韮 嵯
32.廣 壱 棺 呑 冥 暢 茎 叩 饗 萌 咸 葦 冴 鍾 蛮 徘 黎 袴 菩 眞 麺
33.賜 萬 謄 瞑 蓼 薪 匿 伽 夷 馨 塙 抒 膝 蔡 朔 嫉 歪 笏 楢 絢 汐
34.鮎 臼 穣 孔 挨 雫 竿 蕨 砦 梓 稀 脊 噂 甦 堕 諌 蔭 壷 桶 鵠 雁
35.苫 哺 捧 蜷 鄒 蚕 笘 銕 檜 湛 煥 轟 梯 粥 附 蒼 囃 魏 嬉 甫 宍
36.牌 脩 蒋 芙 鴈 蛋 孟 槍 憧 讃 焉 耀 諜 繭 瀕 娼 蕉 囚 舜 杏 逝
37.硯 斑 芭 篭 箏 鷺 嘘 峨 牝 拷 膠 荏 衷 卿 卑 舵 隼 斥 樫 萱 蕃
38.噛 翫 稽 凹 凸 賊 榛 惰 黛 橿 茗 婿 稜 佃 檀 寓 痢 允 坑 瀋 綴
39.鴎 仇 桧 尹 櫛 銚 栓 眉 彬 邑 愁 苅 慧 摯 詔 鳳 弛 漱 魯 韻 挺
40.嚇 巽 渚 贋 雛 禄 抄 蓋 鴻 汪 繕 乞 怨 渓 叶 佑

Sorry for the long post.

nibill said... (not sure if it already exists, if not...)
Something (a Userscript I guess) which highlights all the already learned kanji
 I second this one. I think of it as something similar to the "Measure text" feature from the great http://wstats.herokuapp.com/ , but instead working as an extension where it highlights the kanji you learned (with the progress color, maybe?) on the page.

I would like an extension, that shows kanji that look similar to the kanji I’m learning.  For example 料 is NOT 科! So I can compare them and see the differences.

8 Likes
jakobd said...  Do you happen to have some audio examples for the different pitch accents?
Not offhand, but the audio examples on the level 1-2 vocab should suffice better than any online examples: the voice actor Tofugu hired for levels 1-10 has by far the cleanest and clearest Japanese pitch shifts I've ever heard. Compare to Excite, or here: http://accent.u-biq.org/
mieze said... I would like an extension, that shows kanji that look similar to the kanji I'm learning.  For example 料 is NOT 科! So I can compare them and see the differences.
+1

Also, I'd be happy with one that tells me which items I failed the most. I don't have any items in critical condition but I know I fail a lot of items multiple times resulting them on never getting past Master or even Guru. How many correct answers do we need to get a single item from new to burned? 9? So having an item with 30, 40+ reviews surely say something.
3 Likes

I would like an interactive page that only shows what items I have in Apprentice, so that I know where I should focus my studies. 

Snave said...
jakobd said...  Do you happen to have some audio examples for the different pitch accents?
Not offhand, but the audio examples on the level 1-2 vocab should suffice better than any online examples: the voice actor Tofugu hired for levels 1-10 has by far the cleanest and clearest Japanese pitch shifts I've ever heard. Compare to Excite, or here: http://accent.u-biq.org/
 Thanks, I'll download some of the audio then to compare it.

Edit: Made a small website to compare some of the level 1 and 2 words with their respective pitch accents. I took the audio from Wanikani (I hope this is alright, as it's only from the first two levels) and the pitch accents numbers from the Excite dictionary (in some cases where two where given, I used the first one). The graphical represantation is done by my script simply using the pitch number from Excite.
http://j4.monoceres.uberspace.de/pub/pitchaccent (Use 'wanikani' for identification.) Audio doesn't work in Internet Explorer because it's ogg.

An indicator in reviews of what level the item displayed is currently at would be super cool thx

I love the random font idea, I’ve seen a couple old Japanese movies and they got kanji with text that’s BOLD AS !@#$

I like the idea of having a list of my apprentice items too.

3 Likes