What do you want now? (Request extensions here)

Something semi related, I have a userscript that shows other definitions of a word and it loads instantly when I hit 'f', unlike wanikani which usually takes 10 - 20 seconds, however wanikani throws a 50% grey over the information area while it struggles to find its own information so I struggle to read it for a second. Maybe just a simple CSS thing, but does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
 What is this userscript called? I can't seem to find it. Is it one of your own (unpublished) scripts?
I made a script recently that sounds very similar. /t/UserScript-WaniKani-Quick-Info/8431/1

I think the jQuery command $("#additional-content-load").hide() might be what you are looking for.
Ethan said...
Something semi related, I have a userscript that shows other definitions of a word and it loads instantly when I hit 'f', unlike wanikani which usually takes 10 - 20 seconds, however wanikani throws a 50% grey over the information area while it struggles to find its own information so I struggle to read it for a second. Maybe just a simple CSS thing, but does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
 What is this userscript called? I can't seem to find it. Is it one of your own (unpublished) scripts?
I made a script recently that sounds very similar. /t/UserScript-WaniKani-Quick-Info/8431/1

I think the jQuery command $("#additional-content-load").hide() might be what you are looking for.
 In the case of vocabulary meanings, I suspect the script is the multiple EDICT definitions one.
At least, I find the same thing - I can see the multiple EDICT definitions long before the WK one's have even loaded.
ocac said...
Ethan said...

In the case of vocabulary meanings, I suspect the script is the multiple EDICT definitions one.
At least, I find the same thing - I can see the multiple EDICT definitions long before the WK one's have even loaded.
 Seconding ocac's suggestion.  Same thing for me.

I would really like a wanikani app for ios more similar to the wanikani app for android by ihsan isik. The choice of some different user scripts choice of lesson or reviews. 

The other one would be similar to how in wanikani improve if you make a mistake it auto opens the answer, I would like it to automatic open the “your answer was a little off”. 

The option to ‘pass’ or skip items that you don’t want to, or are for some reason are unable to, learn. Some stuff simply doesn’t stick no matter how hard you try, and just wastes time that could be better spent on items that you’re more likely to remember. Or simply stuff that you’re not likely to encounter ‘in the wild’ so shouldn’t be a priority. The counter-arguments to a feature like this seem to infer that we’re not responsible adults who are able to manage our own learning, which seems a bit strange when you think about why people use this site in the first place.

The single most useful thing though is possibly the hardest to implement: users being able to tweak the intervals between reviews to match the speed of the system to their own pace of learning. Everyone’s memory works at a slightly different pace, so it’s a bit disingenuous to assume that the SRS system used here works equally well for everyone. The recurring complaints that reviews happen too often and not often enough are testament to that.

EskimoJo said... Please a userscript that produces the shaky screen and a message to 'be careful' if I get everything right except the okurigana. If the answer is in the question and I get it wrong, it's obviously a typo!
I know I should just slow down, but if English typos are allowed...
I just made one that does the shaky shakes when you get the okurigana wrong, which is just as good. (the only difference would be that what you're asking for would fail you if you got both the kanji and the okurigana wrong and this one just shakes until you get the okurigana right... then fails you)

/t/UserScript-Do-You-Even-Kana-Okurigana-Matcher/8440/1 

I’d like to see a chrome app that just groups all the extensions and is actively maintained.
Keeping up with tamper monkey and individual scripts is really discouraging for me, and makes it very hard to replicate my environment in various computers that I use.

i just want a countdown timer ! 30 seconds to answer, if not, bad answer! 

Not sure if this has been suggested yet, but is there a way to filter certain forum posts from popping up in the ‘recent chat topics’ at the bottom of the home page? I’m tired of seeing the しりとり thread and the reaction gif thread taking up space down there

Ethan said...
EskimoJo said... Please a userscript that produces the shaky screen and a message to 'be careful' if I get everything right except the okurigana. If the answer is in the question and I get it wrong, it's obviously a typo!
I just made one that does the shaky shakes when you get the okurigana wrong, which is just as good. (the only difference would be that what you're asking for would fail you if you got both the kanji and the okurigana wrong and this one just shakes until you get the okurigana right... then fails you)

Huh? So I fail anyway if I get the okurigana wrong?
EskimoJo said...
Ethan said...

Huh? So I fail anyway if I get the okurigana wrong?
 No I'm talking about what it seems you requested, a script that shakes if you get everything right except the okurigana. My script doesn't check if you got everything else right, that would involve at least one more loop and a couple more variables. It only objects if you get the okurigana wrong.

If you get the the Kanji right and the okurigana wrong it won't submit, so you won't fail after you correct the okurigana. If you got both wrong and correct only the okurigana, then you would fail. Perhaps the logical difference is of little consequence for its purpose but thus is the mind of a coder. :P

By the way, it will give false positives (ie, let you submit) if you mix katakana with hiragana in your answer, so uh... don't.

I’ve been looking for an app that could let me download the kanjis I’ve already learned with their kun’yomi/On’yomi sounds as pdf, but I haven’t found anything yet. I this could be awesome. 

Hello!

Lately I’ve had the chance to do a couple of WK sessions with my girlfriend, who is Japanese. She has been surprised by the amount of very uncommon vocabulary, according to her, that WK teaches. While I do think that, although uncommon, the vocabulary taught by WK is extremely useful to learn kanji, I am starting to wonder if there can be a way to mark words in order of frequency/commonness in Japanese - like IMI, for example, does. This way I could differenciate between vocabulary worth memorizing for kanji practice and vocabulary that I should actively learn and add to my toolbox.

Do you think this kind of “tagging” could be done with a userscript? I know nothing about coding, I’m afraid, so I’m not even sure it’s possible to cross-reference WK words with frequency lists :( 

ivanlombardi said... Hello!

Lately I've had the chance to do a couple of WK sessions with my girlfriend, who is Japanese. She has been surprised by the amount of very uncommon vocabulary, according to her, that WK teaches. While I do think that, although uncommon, the vocabulary taught by WK is extremely useful to learn kanji, I am starting to wonder if there can be a way to mark words in order of frequency/commonness in Japanese - like IMI, for example, does. This way I could differenciate between vocabulary worth memorizing for kanji practice and vocabulary that I should actively learn and add to my toolbox.

Do you think this kind of "tagging" could be done with a userscript? I know nothing about coding, I'm afraid, so I'm not even sure it's possible to cross-reference WK words with frequency lists :( 
This sounds like a pretty good idea. Maybe a colour coded system. I like colours... 
However, I'd be willing to bet that most of the words are more common than she thinks. It's simply being an adult, hearing/seeing/saying the words washes over her without her noticing. So much of our language is instinctive and subconsciously used as an adult, that it is always difficult to decide without actual studies what is common, normal or natural. This is why immersion and the consumption of native materials is vital.
EskimoJo said...

Lately I've had the chance to do a couple of WK sessions with my girlfriend, who is Japanese. She has been surprised by the amount of very uncommon vocabulary, according to her, that WK teaches. While I do think that, although uncommon, the vocabulary taught by WK is extremely useful to learn kanji, I am starting to wonder if there can be a way to mark words in order of frequency/commonness in Japanese - like IMI, for example, does. This way I could differenciate between vocabulary worth memorizing for kanji practice and vocabulary that I should actively learn and add to my toolbox.

Do you think this kind of "tagging" could be done with a userscript? I know nothing about coding, I'm afraid, so I'm not even sure it's possible to cross-reference WK words with frequency lists :( 
This sounds like a pretty good idea. Maybe a colour coded system. I like colours... 
However, I'd be willing to bet that most of the words are more common than she thinks. It's simply being an adult, hearing/seeing/saying the words washes over her without her noticing. So much of our language is instinctive and subconsciously used as an adult, that it is always difficult to decide without actual studies what is common, normal or natural. This is why immersion and the consumption of native materials is vital.
 I agree with Ivanlombardi.  I did the exact same thing a few months ago...sat down with my wife and did some reviews, and she also mentioned how uncommon a lot of those words are...like as in, she never uses them.  Confirmed with her father later on when we were up in the Fukushima area a few weeks ago, they just aren't used anymore.  We likened it to someone learning English and learning the word "beltway" or "grifter"....sure they are English words, and if we saw them we'd most likely understand them, but for someone learning the language they are completely useless.  I am guessing that in order to implement some of the kanji they have to use words easy to remember or easy to recall in the beginning.

kairu said...
EskimoJo said...

I agree with Ivanlombardi.  I did the exact same thing a few months ago...sat down with my wife and did some reviews, and she also mentioned how uncommon a lot of those words are...like as in, she never uses them.  Confirmed with her father later on when we were up in the Fukushima area a few weeks ago, they just aren't used anymore.  We likened it to someone learning English and learning the word "beltway" or "grifter"....sure they are English words, and if we saw them we'd most likely understand them, but for someone learning the language they are completely useless.  I am guessing that in order to implement some of the kanji they have to use words easy to remember or easy to recall in the beginning.

Can you give us some examples? I've only been up to level 34, but the only word I can't imagine being used/haven't heard or seen used is 'anaba' and maybe tetsujin?

I’d really, reeeally like if there was a script that showed the kanji and vocab with different fonts at the same time! I get too used to wanikani’s blocky font, but the problem won’t be solved by changing font in browser settings, since I’d just get used to that font only as well.

Something like (sans-serif, serif (uh can you say this about kanji?), handwritten etc.):

being shown when I click “item info”… Or something.

An app that plays the audio of Japanese words from WK in Firefox and requires the English meaning to be typed would be great. There’s already an app for that in Chrome (/t/Is-WaniKani-not-hard-enough-for-you-listening-comprehension/1148).

Also, something like Kaniwani but without the SRS would be great - an app that just prompts for J-input in response to an English word.

Here's an idea for an extension: A facility where you can enter a number of date ranges for when you'll be on holiday or otherwise busy.

When you go to the lessons page, WaniKani could then warn you that anything you learn at that point would likely be reviewed in one of your busy periods.

It probably doesn't matter so much for enlightened items, since a week either way won't matter as much as guru and mastered items.

Something like small batch review sessions  would be good.
You can choose from something like 5,10 or 20(or a custom number you enter) items and the review queue will have just that amount, still in random order like regular review sessions.
I think it would be neat at least motivation wise to have these micro goals you can sneak in any time you have a few minutes of free time.