What do you type in when you have no idea what the kanji is?

“a” or question marks

I like to type やれやれ

I used to type ‘a’, but sometimes that answer is accidentally marked as correct because ‘a’ is a valid reading, so now I type ‘aaaa’.

I usually type し, which is short for “sh*t I forgot” :)) It actually turned out to be correct the first time I tried it (with the kanji for child) so I’ve been doing it ever since

4 Likes

I’m impressed with how much thought some people put into this, good for you guys! My brain usually stops at “poop” for the meaning, and 「ぷうぷ」for the reading

1 Like

I type in “hi” or “ひ” as in to say, “Hi, anyone behind the scenes looking at my wrong answers. Yep, I totally forgot this one.”

3 Likes

あああ followed by whatever okurigana is showing. ああある is common for failed verbs.

1 Like

When I have absolutely no idea, I’ll type う.

i type in ノ as in there is no way that this is the right reading

At some point I started using しらん (variant of 知らない) and that just kinda stuck. If it’s an unknown meaning I use ‘?’ which worked every time until I started learning the kanji for question mark.

4 Likes

I type “Meow!” :cat2:
Actually, even when I have an idea what the kanji is, I still feel the urge to type “Meow”.
Because in Cat every kanji is “Meow!” :cat2:

5 Likes

I always do try to hit the right reading specially with look-alike 漢字 for example 坂 and 板 one could be han and other could be saka or viceversa… if im really tired i just create a new reading for it like kyaku or ryo i dont know…:cry:

hahaha 僕も!

1 Like

Ftfy

2 Likes

?

bug

11 Likes

I do think the different approaches are interesting. From “guessing something that cannot possibly be right” to “guessing something statistically likely” to “I just want to express my frustration at not knowing.”

4 Likes

Yes, this!

I also sometimes end up mashing the g key

About 6% of the time my guess is accurate - don’t know if it’s luck or my brain is giving me subliminal help. (I do try to employ Malcolm Gladwell’s “Blink” theory at times)

1 Like

I have been using あ but people here have made a good case for using ん instead. I will try to do that in the future.

For readings I do あああ, for definitions I do “forgive me Lord Koichi”

2 Likes