What do I pair with WaniKani?

To start off, I have been using WaniKani for about 2 weeks now and so fair it has been insanely helpful for my learning - I’ve been ‘attempting’ to learn Japanese for about a year now and the furthest I got to this point was knowing a few words and sentences. But for the first time I am actually learning something with WaniKani.

Anyways, I’m only at level 2 at the moment but I also want to do other study along with WaniKani to extend myself. I mainly want to get into forming sentences and practicing speaking, but I’m not sure what I can do that is actually going to be effective to help me with my learning at this early stage.

I’ve always struggled at actually finding a routine and ways to learn that aren’t just random and irrelevant. I have ADHD and it’s made it quite hard for me to learn by myself without pre-set courses to go through but all of those also cost money to do.

If anyone has any good beginner resources that I can work through while going through WaniKani please let me know! More specifically unpaid resources if possible haha

Or just any advice for a language learner with ADHD!!
Any help would be super appreciated!!

3 Likes

There are plenty of threads out there for ADHD learners if you search here or /r/learnjapanese
Finding a routine that works is half of language learning and changes all the time. My routine a year ago was super different from what I do now.

https://old.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/search?q=ADHD&restrict_sr=on

This video is a good start if you’re looking to learn Japanese on the cheap.

7 Likes

Since white wine pairs best with crab, and red wine with alligator, the best thing to pair with WaniKani would be a rosé.

24 Likes

Maru is a red panda :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

You beat me to it. When I read the title my mind immediately went in that direction. But I was going to suggest a nice Whiskey. Seeing as it is Japanese being studied, Yamazaki would be a nice choice. Neat or on the rocks.

8 Likes

Ordinarily you know I’d be down for all things red panda, but this post is such a non sequitur that it’s got a second non sequitur in the middle.

Run that one past me again? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

BunPro is an SRS based system that focuses on grammar which pairs very well with WaniKani. You can follow set courses based on textbooks or the JLPT. It’s also very customisable (which is daunting at first and takes some figuring out) so you can follow a path that suits you. I recommend it!

You can even sync with WaniKani progress so that furigana for Kanji isn’t displayed for Kanji you’ve learned on WaniKani.

2 Likes

i think it’s a reference to marumori.io? :sob: but I’m not sure where that came from ahaha

3 Likes

Well, it’s a red, not a rosé.
(As @taiyousea said, @jprspereira was saying to pair marumaru with WK; Maru the red panda is its mascot)

2 Likes

I use and like Kaniwani. Opposite of WaniKani - given the vocab in English you need to produce the Japanese. It is synced with your WaniKani account so you are studying the same vocab set. I find that it helps me with my overall vocab retention. KameSame is another that is similar to KaniWani (does what KaniWani does plus other stuff as well).

1 Like

Probably one of the most important pieces of advice I have heard for people with ADHD learning skills is really quite basic and straightforward: Don’t let yourself use it as an excuse.

Especially after I stopped taking my medication due to the side effects, there were a lot of moments where I was like “damn if only I could focus I could do xyz” and it made me think a lot more about all the things I thought I couldn’t do rather than the stuff that I knew I could. Don’t get in your own head and don’t feel sorry for yourself, of you’ll just be making more ways for you mind to work against you and your goals. Best of luck :+1:

10 Likes

Thank you! I’ll take a look at it :slight_smile:

Like @Vanilla said though, don’t use it as an excuse/crutch. If you want it you gotta work for it.

2 Likes

That’s a good perspective change honestly, thank you!! Much needed wake up call haha

2 Likes

Ah ok interesting I’ll give it a go! Thank you!

Awesome! Thanks so much!

For sure, I’ll be working hard!

I highly recommend

It is not free, but it’s arguably the easiest way to getting into actual Japanese reading.
And it goes really well with WK.

Anyway, best of luck with your studies!

5 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

MaruMori.io for grammar, Crystal Hunters a manga that teaches Japanese, Game Gengo a youtuber that teaches Japanese through video games.

3 Likes