What are some good steps for me to take as a beginner

I think, like other people are saying, Genki is less impossible to do alone than you might imagine. Obviously, though, I am not trying to browbeat you into not doing Zero. Do the Zero books if you want. To be honest, I still need to get a textbook. I am in a weird place because I left it until now so I guess probably at least having something instead of nothing is a good thing. Either way, best of luck!!!

1 Like

I did Rosetta Stone long ago as well. Probably my least favorite item was the extremely slow listening comprehension which wasn’t natural at all. Seems it was good for beginners to improve speaking and expression using immersion.

1 Like

So much repetition :sweat::sleeping: To this day, if I had not kept studying Japanese, I would still remember how to say “The car is blue” and “The boy is running”

On the plus side, it teaches Te-form from the start so it’s easier to conjugate later on when you come across the basic verbs.

Also, since it has a kanji reading option I’ve found it helps reinforce WK kanji. I use it here and there on my commute when I’m not doing WK reviews/listening to a podcast/Genki.

1 Like

Yeah, there are some good points to RS. You’ve encouraged me to check it out again :smile:. For someone studying for JLPT, the reading and listening points are probably most useful but I thought it was more geared towards a world traveler looking to communicate in a foreign country.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.