What are pros and cons of Wanikani?

Thank you Ninkaman

5 Likes

Pro: there are POLLs
Con: I only care about NativShark at the moment, sorry

2 Likes

weren’t you the guy who made a post on that? “i’m doing it guys”?

1 Like

Yeah that was me

just so all of you know hes impersonating me and if he does anyrhing stupid its his gualt not mien😭

1 Like

um… are you on a phone; i see lots of typos

2 Likes

You’ve just met @anon12500920, our resident Unlettered. He’s a good guy, just famous for his typos. :joy:

4 Likes

The impersonation is entirely unrelated to the recent wk additions

That cuts both ways. Most people who dislike WaniKani silently quit it and don’t write extensively about it on the forums.

In my opinion, the big drawback of WaniKani is the total lack of any sort of flexibility in how you want to learn. Some of it can be mitigated by apps or scripts, but in its core, WaniKani assumes that everyone learns the same way.

Some people are OK with that and some aren’t.

5 Likes

i swear im smarter now i was js severyl sleep deprived

2 Likes

I’ve never doubted that you are smart, my friend. You just don’t put the effort in to spell in casual contexts, which is totally fine and often hilarious, so carry on. :joy:

3 Likes

This is an enormous if. Homie, WaniKani is borderline unusable without scripts or third party apps. The amount of extremely basic features that you need a script for is ludicrous. I don’t know how I got as far as I did without Tsurukame. The longer you go and the more you know about Japanese and language learning the more stuff like the lack of an undo button for typos is going to drive you bananas.

2 Likes

Judging by my very unscientific sampling of these WK forums, I think people who take it slow don’t necessarily mind stock WK. Getting a bunch of “unnecessary” reviews because there’s no ‘undo’ to fix typos or missing synonyms is only really an issue for people who go fast and have a large amount of reviews every day.

Similarly lesson reordering (another necessary feature for my routine that’s missing from stock WK) is only really important if you need to micromanage your level progression. Otherwise stock order is mostly fine.

I know that a minority of users use scripts, although I’d be curious to know how many make it to level 60 without scripts. It could also be interesting to compare how long it takes on average to reach level 60 with scripts vs. without.

Also I still feel like some things should 100% be part of stock WK, such as having the option to display onyomi in katakana to avoid confusing the readings (especially when WK decides to teach you a kunyomi with the kanji).

There are plenty of people that get through level 60 without scripts.

3 Likes

I believe every user finds its pros and cons

I have mine and I havent seen anyone complaining about them. For example, I dont like when they show similar words in meaning and certainly I will confuse them and make them leech for a long time.

I still remember when the words for frequent and frequency appeared, I habe batches of 5 itens for lessons, then they appeared in a row like frequent, frequent, frequency, frequent, all different vocab kanji. Honestly I dont like this approach because it will make you confuse them, even if you know the reading.

same is happening at my current level for words for cruel, cruelty appearing, I confuse them!

Another con would be it is only 60 lvls, from the beginning it loooks a long way ahead but as soon as you go hitting that finishing line, well, what to do later? I am trying to find alternatives for srs so I can continue to increase my vocab (my goal at the moment).

Any recommendation is welcome.

4 Likes

Personally, I’ve had great luck with the Yomichan/Anki combo. It makes creating flash cards super easy, and you can add whatever words you think are worth learning. I have mine set up so that it automatically pulls the context sentence I found the word in, too.

1 Like

there is research on this point and it’s not just you. It has been shown that learning words together with a similar spelling or meaning can take twice as many repetitions to learn when introduced together as when introduced separately. (from Paul Nation’s language guide)

5 Likes

In my eyes, stock WaniKani website is usable if

• Not bad at typing. There seems to be not so few people who aren’t good.
  • Likes “pegging” memorization, like assigning an English word to a Japanese word.
    • Probably this isn’t bad at all, and encourages memory clarity. But those who bias towards approximation and interpretation would feel otherwise.
  • Trust the system, or not caring about optimization.
    • Many scenic learners are like this, although I am not even sure if most. Maybe they don’t have time to worry about it.
    • Speed runners, using other materials alongside, would of course care. Probably not so speedy, like taking 2-3 years too.

Mobile app users’ count isn’t to be underestimated. They can’t be counted as using scripts. Not sure how many aren’t using default settings.

Desktop website users probably use Double Check at some point around 1/3. Saw mentioned somewhere, not so sure.

Not sure how many people study Japanese extensively, but stopped using WaniKani without using it significantly (i.e. in drop-out group).

1 Like

what’s tsurukame?