What are なかなか、かなり、とても?

Hello to fellow learners of Japanese and accomplished speakers. :slightly_smiling_face:

A bit hesitant to start a new topic, though I’m yet to find solid ground. :sweat: :sweat:

I’m looking for some clarification on the matter of above adverbs, what are their real applications, differences, interchangeabilities?
As far as I could go: なかなか、かなり、とても are able to exaggerate or belittle a meaning to a different degree, the same way “a little bit”, “quite”, “very”, “considerably”, “a lot” do it in English.
Apart from these, I`ve encountered ずいぶん & すごく, does one find them frequently used in formal situations rather than usual everyday conversations?

:question: :question: :question: :bowing_man:

4 Likes

It’s difficult/annoying to read like that, did you do “>” or something?

Apologies, corrected.

1 Like

なかなか < とても < かなり in terms of strength afaik, with the latter usually signifying that’s something is more than an average

3 Likes

Following your example where could ずいぶん & すごく be placed?
As far as ずいぶん is concerned, some sources state it carries emotional expression, like “it is a lot more than I`ve expected”…? On the other hand すごく is totally unclear to me. :sweat:

すごく = とても, is it?

すごくis the same as とても, just less formal, and if I’m not wrong, ずいぶん is the most out of these, but more in a “lot more than I expected” quality

3 Likes

Appreciate, ありがとう :bowing_man: