What’s your motivation for learning Japanese after you make five million typos?

this question has probably been asked more times than i can count but i just need some motivation after i made like twenty typos during my reviews! (and made several words which could have been enlightened back into guru! i love my life!)

right now i’m just going through a bunch of vocaloid songs i listened to when i was young and i’m reveling in how many kanji i can recognize already. my younger self would have been awestruck.

2 Likes

“The patient says, “Doctor, it hurts when I do this.”

The doctor says, "Then don’t do that!”

― Henny Youngman

5 Likes

I’m not learning Japanese to do WK, I’m learning Japanese to do things like read manga :person_shrugging:

I may make typos doing WK but the manga are still going to interest me. WK didn’t really end up motivating me or helping me as much as I would’ve liked for the effort it takes me, so I don’t use WK. If WK really is demotivating to you, maybe you could ask yourself why you use it in the first place? It’s not like you need WK to learn Japanese.

If something becomes an obstacle rather than an asset, drop it. If it’s just temporary frustration, wait for it to pass. Take a break from WK if you have to, the reviews will still be there in a week.

And if it’s just the typos frustrating you, you could always look into whether using a userscript that lets you correct them can help. Just be careful not to abuse it.

7 Likes

that’s the thing, though. no matter how much i try, i know i’m going to abuse it, so i’m kinda practicing on not abusing things like that, so we’ll just have to wait until then (probably going to be a long time)

1 Like

Are you typing very fast? I find slowing down for a moment to think of the answer and then typing deliberately reduces my typos.

1 Like

i try to, but most of my typos come from words which readings i’m absolutely sure of. and it is quite exhausting pausing to check every word for a typo… i’ll try that!

and welcome back!

2 Likes

Hot take: abusing is fine. Language learning is about quantity, not quality (within reason). If you “cheat” your way to burning a kanji or word you don’t actually know well, then either you’ll eventually encounter that kanji/word IRL and realize that you don’t know it well enough and have to relearn it, or that won’t happen and then who cares.

Unless you’re studying specifically for a test that requires memorizing a set amount of knowledge, I wouldn’t worry about cheating.

If I didn’t have undo I for sure wouldn’t be level 37 right now, in fact I expect that I’d be in the late 20’s most likely. I would probably know the early content better but I think I would still be behind in terms of actual Japanese proficiency. With languages knowing a lot of stuff “okay-ish” beats knowing a smaller subset very well, in my experience.

10 Likes

okay then!

1 Like

Of course do what feels right, I don’t mean to pressure you. But I wouldn’t worry too much about cheating if it feels like those typos hold you back.

3 Likes

oohhh. well too be completely honest, i would likely not feel very comfy abusing a system, even if i know it will work out in the end… stupid morals :confused:

1 Like

And the Crabigator shall reward you for your unwavering fortitude.

1 Like

If it’s a reading that you’re absolutely sure of, then it’s not a typo. It’s misremembering the reading. Typos are when you want to wirte somehting butt yuo aciddentaly pres teh wrogn butonns.

4 Likes

What helps for me is not randomly using the undo feature when you feel like it, but think for yourself under which conditions using the undo is ok. Then you can hold yourself to that and have some sort of objective guideline on when to undo or not.

For me these are:

• Typos, which is when I think or say the answer and then write something completely different.
  • Meanings for which I don’t even know what the difference between my answer and the accepted answer is in English. (annually vs yearly).
  • Kanji meaning questions answered with vocab meaning answers.
  • Any meaning yomichan says is correct.
  • When the transitive/intransitive verb questions break from their pattern and don’t accept to XXX something/ to be XXXed.

I don’t know how people get around without an undo button, especially with meanings such as “aiueo order”, “rhythmically”, or “icicle” to just name a few. Does everybody else just know how to spell everything? Or when you type large mistake instead of big mistake, which is obviously completely wrong how could you even think that.

5 Likes

I have been getting along without an undo button right from the start - but it has been annoying on many occasions to key in the reading, only to make a light keyboard keystroke which doesn’t register, and if I hit ENTER before I notice that, I’m basically SOL.

So I might consider adding a script for just such cases.

But my usage of WK is intended to cement meanings and readings into my memory rather than to meet other types of goals - and so for my purposes if I want to check a reading where I know a meaning, or vice-versa, during a review, I don’t consider it to be ‘cheating’, rather it’s part and parcel of the learning experience. I certainly know what I know and I know what I don’t know.

An undo button would just help avoid the frustration of dumb keying mistakes for me.

2 Likes

I agree, the primary function is to avoid frustration. I don’t think that is a small thing however. Most people stop doing something if they don’t have to and it is causing frustration. So preventing frustration is very important for a long term project such as learning a language.

I was having a lot of trouble with typos for a while, but the auto-commit userscript actually fixed it for me completely. All auto-commit does is automatically submit your answer once you’ve typed the correct thing. It doesn’t let really let you “cheat” imo so there’s no worry about ever abusing it.

But if I’ve typed my answer and it doesn’t auto-submit then it gives me a chance to notice my typo, fix it, and then it auto-sends. The point of the script is to make it so you don’t need to hit enter after you type, but mostly I need it so I can notice my typos before the answer sends.

If the correct reading is, say, ‘shu’, and you think it’s ‘shuu’, does the script consider that wrong, or does it autosubmit as soon as you type the first three letters before you get a chance to enter the extra ‘u’ that demonstrates that you misremembered the reading?

this happened the first time i submitted しょう for a reading that was しょ. it auto-sent at しょ and then the next box had う typed into it because the script is faster than my typing most of the time. and from that i just immediately thought “oh, oops, it’s only しょ” and haven’t done it since. but in that sense i could see where it won’t catch a mistake. though at the same time, it’s not that you submitted a “wrong” answer and you will see the extra vowel that you extended in the next box

Well, you did have the wrong reading in your mind, though, and the card advanced an SRS step. I find short-vs-long-vowel distinctions hard to remember personally, so I try to be careful about them.

Understandable. Then maybe auto-commit isn’t right for you.

1 Like