Weow! Koohi.cafe - A WK friendly SRS [300 vocabulary lists!]

Can you add this book?

The Absolute Beginners Book Club won’t start reading it until the 10th of July, but it’s free on Bookwalker now.

Edit: Ooops, just realised that it’s manga, so probably not.

2 Likes

I’m trying to import some known words. I have a huge list of flashcards I’ve made and studied on Memrise. But every time I try to import it, it says there’s nothing to import. I imagine I’ve got the format wrong. How should I format it?

Currently just trying to import the Japanese (because I imagine the English translations could vary) so was doing:
Japanes /n Japanese /n Japanese;etc.

But then I tried importing the Japanese with the English:
Japanese;English /n Japanese;English

And that didn’t work either.

1 Like

When I add stuff from manga, I generally do it after the book club is over. This is because OCR is too unreliable to make lists without having to do a lot of manual editing, so I literally just take the club’s vocabulary sheet and do it with that.

So I can do it after the club but not while it’s going, basically.

Make sure that you set the correct word # field. I’ve included a screenshot of what it sounds like your settings should be.

See on the left side - Field Settings > Word Field #
The column you select will be highlighted green. If you don’t have a column select or it’s a column without Japanese, it’ll say there’s no data to import.

I’ll update the website this weekend to stop allowing people to go to the next step if they don’t select a column. It seems to be a common confusion point.

If this doesn’t work for you, paste a few rows of your data into pastebin or something and I’ll try and work it out with you.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, it worked perfectly. It turns out I wasn’t selecting a column.

I added all the cards (around 2800 in total), and it worked well (2800 known words in my user stats), but the % of known words on each book in the library didn’t change at all.

It’s not such a big deal, I don’t mind going through each list and clicking whether I know the words or not manually, but just thought I’d mention it in case there’s a problem.

Thanks, the website is a godsend btw.

1 Like

No worries. The percent known is cached because it’s an extremely expensive operation to have to run for 350+ lists each time you enter the page. The number will be recalculated on your next browser session (which is basically just when you spend a few hours off the page).

I hadn’t considered about imports, but it’s an easy fix to have the session cleared after an import.

1 Like

You could just change it to be a tip jar and remove the rewards. (You can unpublish tiers instead of deleting them, if you want to remove any tiers. Deleting can make a mess.) I think all of us there know that that’s why we’re staying on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pretty much. But yeah, I’m actually using ko-fi as the tip jar because Patreon gets VATS/taxed/whatever depending on the country so 5-10% is lost. Ko-fi is still considered a pure donation so there’s no fee.

1 Like

When I try to create an account, it tells me I already have one, but when I try to log in, it tells me to create an account. Oi vey.

Some browsers autosave the username to the email field on your login. I just confirmed that registering works by doing, so unless you have some special bug try that.

I apologize in advance if either of these are dumb questions.

Once you generate a list based on a book you select, is there a way to make sure that the vocab you are getting is in chapter order? I’d like to be able to learn vocab and reinforce it through reading each chapter.

Also is there a way to review the words that you have already quizzed correctly and are in your review/srs queue?

1 Like

Everything is in the order they appear in the book.

To the second question, I think they may appear in your recents tab.

1 Like

Yeah, so if you go to the lessons page (top bar > manage) then click the “recent” button on the right side, it should show the last 200 or so items that you’ve reviewed. It’ll show kanji first so you might have to scroll a bit.

Well it’s always in chapter order, I suppose, because the lists are based on order of appearance. There’s no setting to actually filter by chapter though. The closest solution would be to use the Reader page (top bar > open book icon) since that lets you search for words as you’re reading (it’s more of a reference than a vocabulary list).

Hi @Raionus! First of all, thanks for all your hard work, you make me work even harder at learning Japanese :muscle:t3:

I was wondering if this is a new feature or a bug:

The top row shows that my percentage learnt is -Infinity% :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It’s a feature for sure

Fixed

6 Likes

Are there plans to implement an anki style review thing still?

1 Like

Apparently so because I made it a ko-fi goal expecting to not to ever hit it but then, y’know, I hit it.

Honestly though, I think I need to start a poll on what the priorities are for this site because the backlog is getting a little too big and I don’t know what to prioritize.

3 Likes

Doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

Just curious, what does making userscripts possible look like on your end? Is it a lotta work? If there are people who would make scripts, maybe that would be one way to kinda have more requested stuff available.

I’ve never made a (wanikani) userscript so I wouldn’t know. But I’d guess it’d be more complicated than normal because Vue utilizes a virtual dom so many things you’d intuitively expect to work (ex: change an input field would fail because the input field’s “real value” is a vue prop, and the input field’s visible html value is purely visual (one-way relationship) ) so you’d have to hook into the vue components directly.

I don’t know enough about userscripts to know how you’d access the vue components directly, but if you could and you knew vue lifecycles then you could probably do a lot of stuff. In short, knowledge of vanilla js/html/jquery wouldn’t suffice like it does for wk.

1 Like

I paid attention to the level ups - they seem to happen when the bar reaches the middle point, which doesn’t quite follow gamer logic, hehe. Should be lvl 10 now.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Doing a bug fix weekend atm so I’ll see if we can get this one too

1 Like