Weow! Koohi.cafe - A WK friendly SRS [300 vocabulary lists!]

Makes sense. I don’t know how to implement this off the top of my head, but I’m confident there’s a way. It would be useful for many features on the website, besides just that as well.

Yeah sure. This was actually a feature on the old site but I streamlined it out. The codebase is different now but probably still possible to reimplement.

Well that’s half the battle at least!

Spoiler: no

2 Likes

First version of the reader is open for testing. You can also access it by clicking the open book in the header.

Help me find bugs and also suggest features because this was built in a grand total of three days.

Quick intro, so that people know how things should work (because bugs)

A. Header Items

1. Selector: Pick exactly one book.
  2. Search: Search for words generally.
    Words in the book will show their frequency and a “jump to” button which you can use to jump to the spot (Hint: you should use this to resume reading sessions).
    Custom word adding is also available here (Hint: names will always be misparsed).
  3. Pinned: Any word you interact with (by switching definition entries, jumping to, adding, etc.) will be added to the pinned tab.
    You can use this to review words that you struggled with (because you had to look at their definitions) and quickly add them after a reading session (if you want).
  4. Help: Uhhhhhhh

B. Main contents:
Left: Shows the word in the book.
Center: Shows entries matching the word. In the case of a phonetic match, entries that match the word’s reading.
Right: Controls. Add/trash unknown words. Delete/trash known words.

Suggest features and bug fixes.

@aray

Edit: the goal for this would be to make it as useful (or more useful) than the vocab spread sheets that people make for book clubs

3 Likes

I think it looks great. (The book I was clicking around in was 君の名は).

The Jump To feature is a nice add, makes it easier to pick up where I left off. I was already recording the item number in my notes to find my place, so it works well for me. A slight upgrade on this might be a bookmark feature, but I don’t even think that’s necessary.

I really think this is a huge advantage to use while reading, when I want to focus on comprehension and keep it moving without focusing on drilling vocabulary. The Pinned tab is an excellent addition. I don’t remember this from the old glossary mode but it helps me isolate the words I want to follow up on later when I’m not reading.

This is a fantastic resource for the book clubs on here and unless I’m missing something, there isn’t anything else out there that offers “live” reading vocab support with the review features built in. I don’t even use the SRS yet but I’m looking forward to.

Edit: One last thought, is there a way to create a unique URL for the book in Reader mode for bookmarking to? Would be slightly more convenient than selecting from the dropdown each time.

2 Likes

I added a button that will generate a link for you. It keeps your current book + your current page number (for book marking). I’ll be adding some features to autosave your last book/position and maybe your pinned words so that you don’t have to grab links, but I’m not sure if they’ll be done this weekend.

3 Likes

Only noticed this by chance when sorting by easiest book, but the entry for “A Certain Scientific Railgun” is possibly broken in some way. It shows Unknown words as -1, instead of a number probably much higher =(
I had gotten my hopes up that I wouldn’t have to pre-study for something, but there’s no way I’m that lucky so early on.

Aye you are correct. I’ll have it fixed tomorrow I think

Done

3 Likes

Apologies if this has been answered before, I tried searching the thread and couldn’t find anything–but is there a way to switch the vocabulary from kanji to kana? A lot of vocab I’ve added from a book is written in kana in the book, but once added on Koohi changes it to kanji. Just makes reviewing more difficult.

As an aside, I really appreciate the new reader feature, thanks for adding it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve also been finding it more useful than I thought it would be

This is the closest thing you can do atm (second video).

2 Likes

Update 5/2 - Book Exporting

Exporter

• Added the ability to export entire books (w/ wanikani + freq levels) @morteASD
  • This will be a paid feature at some point

Reader

• Added a “to top” button
  • Progress through pinned/main card list is kept separately and restored when swapping between them

General

• Fixed Kagaku no Railgun
  • Fixed search result ordering (which broke when the reader came out) (?) @fioraaeterna

I’m also working with one of my friends from college right now to do anonymous data collection. We’re basically doing this to bolster his resume because he’s been having trouble finding work (can’t blame him - even I couldn’t get a single interview with three years of running an actual website).

Since he’s running stats this gives me room to work on interesting stuff I didn’t have the time/data to work on: sorting by weekly/all-time book popularity, using user activity to measure which books deserve additional volumes as vocab lists, where to focus work on (ex: reader, vocab list, custom search).

So some interesting stuff we’ve found out so far:

• About half the library is totally unused (since Koohi came out at least)
  • The most added source for words so far is actually the search feature (and not a book) which I found surprising
  • The books with the most words added from them were Youjo Senki and Bakemonogatari (???) which is surprising because 1) Youjo Senki was a custom order book, meaning only one person had access, and he/she added like every single word and 2) Bakemono isn’t even a book club book
5 Likes

Woop! You’re the man.

1 Like

Thanks for all your hard work to create this tool. It’s important to me that pitch accent is included with the vocabulary. Much appreciated!

Last night I signed up with Koohi to learn the vocabulary for Kiki (魔女の宅急便). Oddly enough, the picture of the book shown on the website is a duplicate of the book cover for Book 2 of the series, although the vocabulary is clearly from Book 1, so not a big problem, just a moment of confusion when I was selecting the book.

Is this the place to approach you about custom ordering? When I finish Kiki, I want to read センセイの鞄 (sensei no kaban) by 川上弘美 (Hiromi Kawakami). I don’t see it on your site, but I would be very happy to pay for it, if it’s something you can add.

I have the Japanese book and also the English version (“Strange Weather in Tokyo”), which gives me an emergency fall back to check the meaning of things I don’t understand (extremely useful at my current (very low) level of reading ability).

1 Like

Yes this is the right place. Unfortunately, I’ve looked around and I’m unable to find a digital edition that I can scan text from so that’s a no go for that one :frowning:. This is a rare occasion but what can I say - unlucky.

Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll get it cleared up.

2 Likes

Must not SRS…anymore AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Give up. This is the rest of forever :disappointed:

Understood, thanks for looking.

I see that you have Kitchen on your site, so I may try that one next instead.

I have a couple of other books by Banana Yoshimoto in both Japanese and English versions, which I might want to read in the future if they are available in a form that you can add:

つぐみ (Tugumi) [English version: Goodbye Tsugumi]

とかげ (tokage) [English version: Lizard]

Wow, that was fast! Thanks for fixing it so quickly.

One more tiny tweak: there is a WaniKani book club for Kiki, but it doesn’t come up in a book club search (although that could just be me doing it wrong).

Done :ok_hand:

These both have kindle versions so they’re okay. If you’d like one or both, drop the donation(s) and I’ll have them up within a day.

1 Like

Bug (probably): On a random book it has more words than there should be. Night market has like 3.3k total words and 200 are unknown. On the reader I’m getting like 4k words

Not a bug: Could we get the scroll arrows at the bottom too? Also is there a way to filter out WK words? They are showing up for me.

Lastly in dark mode the white for the blue icons also gets tinted blue for some reason which makes it look like I accidentally highlighted them.

1 Like