Well I made it to level 60

I started on July 2, 2021, and reached level 60 today, June 6th, 2024. Maybe it took me longer than usual because I’ve been a full-time student the whole time I’ve been doing this, but I still have to finish level 60 and burn some stuff, so I’m not done yet. I can’t believe it’s finally (almost) over. I don’t know where my Japanese would be without WaniKani. I first started WaniKani during the summer before my sophomore year of college, and I graduated last May with a BBA in Finance and a minor in Japanese. I was getting ready to start Genki II in class the following fall semester, and now I’ve made it all the way through Tobira. My parents bought me a plane ticket as a graduation gift, and I’m leaving next week to visit Japan for the first time.

Anyway, it seems crazy that I made it to the end. During the first 10 levels or so, I don’t think I ever really believed I would finish, but here I am. It’s been great.

57 Likes

The “usual” is people giving up long before level 60, I think getting there in 3 years while being a student is absolutely commendable!

26 Likes

Congratulations! Enjoy Japan!!! :jp: :crabigator:
Pack light and don’t underestimate the sun :smiley:

7 Likes

Congrats! That’s so exciting! I visited Japan for the first time as an adult last year and forced myself to learn hiragana/katakana while I was there. Even that tiny bit of kana greatly enhanced my trip.

So I can’t imagine how much more awesome it’s gonna be for you to visit with how far you’ve gotten with Japanese!

8 Likes

It doesn’t matter if it’s by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.

おめでとうございます。

6 Likes

Congratulations! :smiley:

100%! If you’re doing all of this on top of both a major and minor courseload (nevermind that part of it is Japanese: that doesn’t make WaniKani reviews disappear!) that is amazing.

The only way I could do something like that is by not having a job, giving up sleep, or (more likely) both. Respect! :laughing:

4 Likes

That’s amazing, congrats on reaching level 60 and on finishing your degree!!

2 Likes

Congratulations! Three years is the amount of time I’m hoping to take to get to Level 60. It’s the same level however long it takes…Enjoy Japan and even better, enjoy being literate in Japan!

2 Likes

よくやったね!おめでとう!

Hearty congratulations @darkith52 :grin: :tada: