Weird sentence translation in wanikani

Hello. Today I learnt a new vocab word and the sample sentence was this:

まるで自分の家のように寛いでいます。
I’m totally relaxed at home.

I don’t understand this translation. It has のように in the sentence, which means in this case, that “like” so if i think the correct trasnlation is: “I’m totally relaxed like if I would be at home.” (sry if its not correct in english im hungarian). So i don’t understand why they translated “at home”. It doesn’t mention he is at home, it’s not で it’s のように.

Do i understand it wrong? Please help!

The English translation doesn’t mean he is currently at home. It really means: “When I am at home, I am totally relaxed”.
(This is based on the original English translation you posted and your explanation of the Japanese. I didn’t really translate it myself.)

I agree. “I’m relaxed as if in my own home.”

Just as secondary confirmation, I found an advertisement for an AirBnB:

J: 自分の家のようにリラックスできます。
E: You can relax as if (it's) your own house.
2 Likes

Thanks. That’s not the first time I don’t agree with translation. I think it’s important to make clear punctual translations for learners of japanese, because they just learning the language. If the translation is not clear they will be confused like I, and learn wrong translations.

If you ever see translations that look off or wrong, feel free to shoot us an email at hello@wanikani.com so we can check to make sure there aren’t any errors on our end. And if it’s a misunderstanding, we can help explain the translation to you.

If people don’t let us know about weirdness and errors, we won’t know to fix them!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.