Weird question about A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar

I got the book a week ago and the cover has air pockets in it, making it feel a little weird when I’m reading it. Just so it’s clear, I’m not talking about the dust cover, but the actual cover that is attached to the book. I’ve never seen a book cover before where the cover was only attached at the edges, leaving empty space in between

Does anyone else’s copy have this problem? I wanted to double check before deciding whether or not to get a replacement.

my paperback copy also has that, it’s just to thicken the ‘cover’ but not actually turn into a hardback. no idea why they didn’t just glue it all the way, possibly to not have to deal with aligning issues if I had to guess.

That’s unfortunate. I was hoping it was just a defective copy so I could get a replacement without this problem. Maybe it’s just us…

I can’t speak for this book, but the covers of a number of Japanese books I have are like that. I’m guessing it’s a trend amongst Japanese publishers to do it that way, though I can’t say why.

i suspect its something to do with how their printing system is set up to bind, i feel like i’ve seen another book like this somewhere but i can’t find what it is on my shelf

ah yup, found it, my kodansha published, Handbook of Japanese Verbs also has it.

Huh, I just ordered myself a used copy online yesterday…I wonder if it will be like that…

So far, every Japanese book bigger than a pamphlet I’ve seen has that. Including Genki textbook, handwriting practice book, children’s books etc.

I have some bookbinding experience including university classes, and I’ve never seen it before. The only Japanese binding we talked about is the traditional Japanese stab binding.

@softlyraining explanation sounds correct–Maybe if they glued it all the way it would make the cover too stiff, which could cause it to crack. Can anyone confirm?

3 Likes

Okay, thanks everyone for the confirmation.

My copy of Genki I has some weird binding in the cover too that drives me a bit nuts.

Just like everyone else, I have experienced the same thing with just about every large paperback-type Japanese book I have. The Genki textbooks as well as the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar as you have mentioned for this post. I found it weird at first, but now that I know that it’s a “thing,” I find it kind of charming.

Yes. This drives me insane. UGH. It’s worse with some books than others; I never even noticed my Genki books were bound like this, but I have another textbook that balloons out all over the place when I try to hold it.

Just checked. All three of that set are like that, as well as any small Japanese book I have. Even Genki.

I’m glad I’m not the only person that had this issue. I found it so odd at first as well.

Haha, i never even noticed :smiley:
My guess is that it makes it more flexible without damaging the paper/cover.

I know the kind of binding your mean and I’ve never had a problem with the glue breaking. It does mean that when you open the book on a flat surface that it’s easier for the pages to rest flat.

I ordered new copies of the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar and also the Intermediate Dictionary within the last couple of years and both were glued fully to the cover.

The copy I just got was new, but I suppose it could be from left over stock. You’re talking about the paper back copy? Where did you get it from (including seller if you got it from a third party on Amazon or something like that)?

Everything of mine is new, within one or two months, brand new from Amazon.

But, while I definitely notice it, it doesn’t bother me.

I just checked my Amazon account. Only one of the two sellers are still selling:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?merchant=A10PEOUUGVDI2H

I got this book recently and I’ve opened it several times and have never noticed this. Wish I hadn’t seen this thread because now I feel like I won’t NOT notice it and will likely bug me… Ugh.

2 Likes