Weird Font Change?

So now I’ve finally crossed the threshold into level 4 and above, I thought I’d update my laptop (Windows 10) so that I can start learning to type in Japanese outside of Wanikani. It’s fun!

But I’ve noticed that the Japanese font has now changed when I’m doing my lessons and reviews. This isn’t much of a problem, I’ll just have to get used to it. For one thing, more complicated Kanji are now easier to read.

My main concern though is now there’s almost no difference between つ and っ. Which is making things slightly more confusing.

3 Likes

Good news is, you’re not stuck with that font! Just google “Japanese supplemental fonts Windows 10”, and you’ll find it’s a fairly simple way to add a few other font options. The same thing happened to me when I updated my computer awhile back lol
And as for the つ vs. っ difference, it might just take awhile to get adjusted to the new font, but either way it can’t hurt to have a few more options for fonts!

6 Likes

Thank you so much! :smile:

1 Like

If you ever start reading novels, there the furigana っつ hardly differ in size either. you’ll have to rely on intuition and experience to know what it’s supposed to be. Luckily, you’ll learn soon enough.

2 Likes

Practice makes perfect I guess!

I also need to get out of the habit of mentally pronouncing っ.
I’m doing reviews mentally reading 三日 as “mi-tsu-ka”.

1 Like

There are sounds available in Wanikani! There is even an option to let them play automaticly during reviews. That might help to get into ‘mikka’, with that short stop :slight_smile:

It’s good to break that habit of ‘mitsuka’ because that is a completely different word and when speaking… you need to say ‘mikka’. (Also: ‘mikka’ and not ‘mika’, very important too.)

Also: how do you type the っ? If you use l for small you can do miltsuka, but then again, mikka is just faster here. (Though, if I type つ or し I’m always lazy and just write tu and si and still hear ‘tsu’ and ‘shi’.)

Okay that’s all rambling and getting off topic but I hope it helps.

2 Likes

I keep forgetting about the audio!

Whenever I saw the っ I would type “ttsu”, which gives you っつ so I’d delete the larger つ. But now I know that you can get っ by typing any double letter in the middle of a word. So I’m trying to get into the habit of typing “mikka” instead of “mittsuka” lol

1 Like

Using one font throughout is one of the “problems” WK has. In the wild, you’ve got to be able to recognize kanjis no matter their font. And if you’re only used to the clean WK font, this can be difficult. There is a userscript that randomizes the font used for each item, if you want to practice reading different fonts: Jitai userscript

1 Like

I just downloaded it!! I haven’t got any reviews for another hour yet so I haven’t had a chance to test it.

1 Like

I had the same problem some months ago. Maybe this helps: Font display changed

Any double letter, or you can also use xtsu (or whatever character you need to make small). Although in the flow of writting the double letters are more practical :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ohh, that is an inefficient way to write it but yea that works too :sweat_smile:

I think it’s worth investing in the double-letter technique, but a lot more words are coming up that have it.

I wrote a blog-like topic on it, years ago (on the old forums even):

https://community.wanikani.com/t/to-%E3%81%A3-or-not-to-%E3%81%A3-a-guide-about-%E3%81%A3ing/11033

In that way, 三日 is a bit of an exception, but it’s still worth to try and mimic the way it’s said while writing it, in my opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like

The plural of kanji is also kanji, btw :slightly_smiling_face: I learned that the hard way on r/learnjapanese, those people are salty!

2 Likes

Oof. That’s why I don’t really use Reddit much anymore. No matter which community it is, you can make an innocent mistake (or even just a typo) and there are people who react like you just personally insulted their entire family.

I was once part of a language learning app where I’d help people with their English. There was a Chinese guy there who was learning Japanese and offered to help me with mine since he was more advanced than I was. But because I was brand new, I ended up typing わ instead of は in a sentence. He made fun of me so much, I was too embarrassed to continue typing in Japanese around him.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.