Weird context sentence for "To Dangle" 垂れる

I normally don’t pay much attention to the context sentences and maybe this is intentional to try to stick in your head, but this sole sentence related to the verb “To Dangle” strikes me as sort of… weird.

Is there really no better example sentence than that? I dunno, just struck me as weird.

4 Likes

Even a reference to dangle berries would be more appropriate :sweat_smile:

This is the whole point of mnemonics and context sentences.

You can make something memorable without resorting to weird misogyny.

2 Likes

I can see your point.

Here’s a similar sentence straight of my Kenkyuusha J-E dictionary. It’s at least gender neutral.

年をとって尻の筋肉が垂れてきた.
Now I’m getting older, my bottom has started to sag.

:joy:

5 Likes

I can’t really see how that sentence is misogynistic.
It’s no different than saying something like “Isn’t it said that drinking beer cause blue beards?”

6 Likes

I’m open to being convinced otherwise, but I agree that it doesn’t strike me as misogynistic.

I’m also not saying that I love the sentence or anything.

7 Likes

Is that a thing that’s said?

I’m sure there’s a thread somewhere about context sentences and mnemonics people find offensive.

If OP and others find it so weird, I’m sure the team would change it if asked to.

Its not misogynistic when taken at face value. But when used for a Japanese language app as a funny or memorable example, it becomes weird. Doubly so if the example was written by a man.

It’s no different than the below construct. If you’re going to have a funny example using body parts, how about using like, a giraffe, instead of women who already face enough body image pressures in real life.

Again I’m not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill it just seems like a bizarre example.

2 Likes

The problem is that it CAN (it won’t for everyone) imply two value judgements.

1. Saggy breasts are not desirable
  2. Breastfeeding is bad

It’s not stated explicitly, and not all people will perceive the implication. But to some readers it will imply those two things, some of those people might also be struggling with their self image of saggy breasts or have some personal conflict/guilt over (not) breastfeeding.

In my view it is just better to avoid the perceived implication of such value judgements if you can. Especially in a language learning app. I am sure the authors didn’t mean anything by it.

7 Likes

I don’t know how that particular example sentence came to be, but I agree that it’s not the best. I’ll work on putting some new ones up today :blush:

9 Likes

Thank you!
-Former Breastfeeding Mom :laughing:

6 Likes

Replaced it with three new examples :+1:

9 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

@the_indoorswoman @kylejelyk You’re welcome!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.