Week 9

Start Date: May 28th
Previous Part: Week 8
Next Part: Week 10

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 9 May 28th Chapter 14, 15 19

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

2 Likes

As soon as I saw the title of chapter 14, I knew what scene of his life it was going to be about. A fun one.

Chapter 15 was also not something new and surprising, but even so really impactful.

I’m looking forward to the conclusion of the book!

8 Likes

Quite predictable outcomes for both chapters, but a nice read nonetheless :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Gotta admit, I was getting a little nervous toward the end of Ch. 15…

Him and the teacher sharing tears together was quite touching.

8 Likes

Funny and touching, these two chapters. He’s now at an age when kids, and boys especially, usually don’t particularly want to show affection to their mothers, at least in public. But this kid has missed his so much, there’s no question of him being “too old” for such things. The teacher being so moved by the mother being there was wonderful.

I thought I'd post my breakdown of this week's dialect too, in case it helps someone.
  • 勉強ばできんばってん、足は速かろうが!

The operative particle “を” (o) is replaced with “ば”.

“~ない” (nai) conjugations become “ん” (n)

The contrastive conjunction “ばってん” (batten) (somewhat equivalent to English’s “however”) replaces standard Japanese equivalents.

So far, the sentence becomes:

勉強をできないけど、足は速かろうが!
I guess が would fit better instead of を, but it’s not an impossible construct (see also here, someone’s asking about this very sentence on StackExchange).

I’m not sure what exactly to do with 速かろう though.

Expand for thought process and sources

There’s this:

I-adjectives’ continuative form’s “く” (ku) becomes a modifying “う” (u) that elongates and possibly changes the vowel of the character before it.

• Ex.:interesting (continuative) (おもしろく (omoshiroku)) becomes “おもしろう” (omoshiroo); fun (continuative) (楽しく) becomes 楽しゅう.

But 速く would probably become はよう or something (see here), so it doesn’t quite fit.

On Weblio I found this:

早かろう、速かろう
読み方:はやかろう
形容詞「早い」「速い」の未然形である「早かろ」「速かろ」に、推量の助動詞「う」が付いた形。

And on Kanshudo this:

The かろう form is a formal and somewhat old-fashioned volitional form for い adjectives. In this form, the い is replaced with かろう.

More analysis on かろう on TaeKim

So maybe something like:
勉強ができないけど、足は速いだろうが! (?)

• 足はかあちゃんに似とっばってん、頭はとうちゃんに似とったい

The continuative conjugation “~ている” (teiru)becomes “とっ”

似とっ → 似ている

• The sentence-ending particle “よ” (yo) becomes “ばい” (bai) or “たい” (tai).

So the sentence becomes:

足はかあちゃんに似っているけど、頭はとうちゃんに似っているよ

8 Likes