Week 6

Start Date: May 7th
Previous Part: Week 5
Next Part: Week 7

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 6 May 7th Chapter 9 17

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

3 Likes

Finished the chapter and I had to research a few things:

もみじ饅頭

These are the sweets from Hiroshima that the mother offered to the children:
image,
image,image
It’s a buckwheat and rice cake filled with read bean paste, shaped like a Japanese maple leaf. Looks yummy.

おひねり

Wrapped money offerings (from 捻る “to twist”, because that’s they way they are wrapped).

Among other things, apparently they may be thrown onto the stage during Kabuki plays.

オールスター家族対抗歌合戦

Apparently this was a singing battle program for entertainers and their families. It aired from 1972 to 1986. There are videos online, but I haven’t found any with 島田. (On the other hand, I’m still very bad at searching in Japanese). It would be cool if we could watch it.

9 Likes

I once had the opportunity to attend a very local, very small town festival in Hokkaido. At the end there was a bit of a karaoke party on stage that also involved throwing お捻り on stage. I was really surprised, haha. It was fun to have it appear in the book!

9 Likes

Read a bit too much today and finished the chapter (poor sleep shedule).
Liked it but will add more detailed thoughts on friday when I have more time to write.
Still need to add some of the vocabulary to anki.

Any progress on this? Would love to see any of the ones where the mother appears

5 Likes

Well, I tried my best - but no luck. I did find a couple of interesting things, however!

The first being an old drama of 佐賀のがばいばあちゃん on youtube. Up to 59 minutes is safe for where we are in Ch 9. The captions aren’t in Japanese, unfortunately… but especially having read the book, I don’t think it’s so challenging to listen to.

I also found a short, old documentary on 島田洋七, mostly about when he was a part of B&B with a little about him growing up.

7 Likes

Did anyone figure out what 走っとっとー is supposed to be? It’s right at the start: 「うわぁ、汽車、走っとっとー!」The first bit must come from 走って, but the last とー confuses me.

4 Likes

Based on these:

• The explanatory “の” is replaced by “と” (to).
    • Ex.:手紙を書いたと?= Wrote [a] letter [explanation request].
  • The continuative conjugation “~ている” (teiru)becomes “とっ”.
    • Ex.:書いとっ=[Someone is] writing.

it might be 走っているの。

6 Likes

I found this explanation: 博多弁「とっとーと」が、もはや何を言っているのか分からない - ITmedia NEWS
(they explain it for a different verb but anyways.)

Like @omk3 suspected it’s 走っているの or 走っていての. I think the sound shift is easier to understand when replacing いる with おる, i.e.

走っていての → 走っておっての → 走っとっての → 走っとっと

or something, I guess.

7 Likes