Week 5: 笑わない数学者 - Mathematical Goodbye (S&M Vol.3)

Join the Saikawa & Moe (S&M) Series Book Club here!

笑わない数学者 - Mathematical Goodbye (S&M Vol.3) Home Thread

Week 5

Start Date: Jan 22nd
Previous Part: Week 4
Next Part: Week 6

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 5 Jan 22nd Chapter 5 ~46

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Previous Proper Nouns
Name Reading Notes Proof
犀川 創平 さいかわ そうへい (Week 1)
西之園 萌絵 にしのその もえ
片山 和樹 かたやま かずき Moe’s classmate
天王寺 翔蔵 てんのうじ しょうぞう Professor, grandfather of 片山 和樹
西之園 恭輔 にしのその きょうすけ Moe’s deceased father
湯川 ゆかわ Architecture researcher
天王寺 律子 てんのうじ りつこ Wife of 天王寺 宗太郎; actress
天王寺 俊一 てんのうじ しゅんいち Son of 天王寺 宗太郎 and 律子; genius mathematician; actor
鈴木 昇 すずき のぼる Driver; his mother works for the professor
天王寺 宗太郎 てんのうじ そうたろう Professor’s eldest son; mathematician; famous author; deceased
片山 亮子 かたやま りょうこ Professor’s daughter; 和樹’s mother; 俊一’s aunt; widow; relationship with 湯川
片山 基生 かたやま きせい 亮子’s deceased husband; 和樹’s father; architect who designed the remodelling of 三ッ星館; died of cancer
鈴木 君枝 すずき きみえ Professor’s housemaid
片山 志保 かたやま しほ 和樹’s older sister
諏訪野 すわの Moe’s butler
鈴木 彰 すずき あきら 昇’s father (Week 4)
萩原 はぎわら Police officer investigating the case on-premise
1 Like

It seems that @NicoleIsEnough was right about the importance of the flower vase! Well done.

By the way, back when we were reading book1 I asked “when 博士 is after a name, like 真賀田博士, is it read はかせ or はくし?” and @Naphthalene said it’s read はかせ.

I talked about the difference between the two words with a teacher or italki and she said that はくし is specifically for someone who has a PhD, especially if it’s science related, while はかせ is more generic, like an “expert”, which you can even use when talking about kids like 昆虫博士. If someone doesn’t have a PhD, it’s a mistake to call them はくし. However, if they have a PhD, you could also call them はかせ…
I asked specifically about the reading after a name, and she was a bit unsure but said it could still be pronounced both ways. And if it was a mathematician she would probably read it はくし.

But she was a bit unsure about the whole thing. She said in general it’s rare to call people 博士 (even though they do it all the time in this series!). E.g. at university you call people (EDIT:) 先生, or 教授, 准教授, etc. She also encouraged me to get a second opinion from a different teacher which I haven’t done yet.

3 Likes

No you don’t. You usually say 先生. Source: I’ve been in the Japanese university system for more than 10 years, and a 先生 myself for like 7 years.
Using 教授 or 博士 as a name ender is really formal. I’ve heard it (and it has been used for me) at large Japanese conference, but that’s about it. The use of 助教, 准教授, etc is usually preferred to 博士, so 博士 is mostly used for researchers who are not working at a university (or postdocs, I guess).
E.g.: お茶の水博士 (note that the reading is はかせ)
https://tezukaosamu.net/jp/character/144.html

4 Likes

Sorry my bad, she must’ve said that. My point was, she said 博士 wasn’t used that much.

1 Like

That’s true. On that front, the depiction in the series doesn’t really reflect the real life experience I’ve had :sweat_smile:

Well, I checked the anime version of すべたがFになる and they do say はかせ like you said…

4 Likes

Getting through the long architectural descriptions of buildings and rooms is always such a slog for me… I’m very bad at vividly depicting the layout of things, so I mostly just gloss over it and hope it comes up often enough later to create a better visual image, or that it’s unimportant enough and doesn’t get mentioned anymore. I do expect the layout of the building and the 地下室 to play a bigger role in solving the case, though.

Ryoko is getting quite suspicious? (at least I think the author wants us to think that.) Akira sabotaged Sotaro‘s car on behalf of either Ryoko or Ritsuko. He then sent the manuscript to Ryoko. Probably because he felt that he could trust her? Which would lead me to think that she was the one who asked for Sotaro to be killed. Ryoko could also have written the letter to Kimie. And now all of the Tennoji family are dead - therefore it makes sense that someone from the Katayama family aimed to kill them all. Probably money/inheritance related motive? Maybe there’s an even deeper motive there, maybe there was some いやがらせ towards Ryoko‘s late husband Kisei done by the Tennoji family? (He never showed up to family gatherings either iirc? Basically never saw his own work in its finished state)
Ryoko saying „she was already sleeping“ at the time Shun’ichi was murdered is also sus. But then lots of general questions remain regarding Ritsuko‘s. How did she get from Noboru‘s room outside? Did Ryoko know she wouldn’t be in her room? And how did she get Akira to sabotage the brakes? Why would he do that?

Some random thoughts :smiley:

4 Likes