Week 5

Start Date: May 8th
Previous Part: Week 4
Next Part: Week 6

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 5 May 8th Chapter 5 48

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

1 Like

Note to @Redglare : chapter 5 has 7 parts. :wink:

6 Likes

Yay, thanks! :laughing:

3 Likes

Moving into Chapter 5, my most burning question is…

How many cigarettes does 犀川 have left? There are 20 cigarettes in a pack. It seems like the phrase “犀川は煙草に火をつける” has appeared at least 20 times. Did he bring more than one pack to the lab? Or will he soon have to go back to the campsite to get more from the carton he brought with him for the trip…???

7 Likes

I haven’t read the chapter yet. :slight_smile:

There was a mention of 犀川 having brought extra cigarettes when they first found out they’d be staying at the lab overnight a couple chapters back. I’m not sure it it was mentioned how much extra he brought specifically, but we can assume he had at least one full pack as well as the one he was already using at that point.

I’m expecting him to run out at some point, haha.

7 Likes

Finished chapter 5! I’m enjoying this book despite a new twitch that occurs every time 犀川 or anyone else lights a cigarette, starts smoking, 美味しそうに smokes, exhales smoke, puts out a cigarette, reaches to get another cigarette, etc. Good thing it’s just a twitch and not a drinking game.

Also, did anyone else laugh when 望月 has on a different color baseball cap?? :joy:

In terms of actual plot, things are moving along! I love locked room mysteries, and this locked room has quite a few layers–the apartment itself, the lower area, the whole facility and its security, the island and its general lack of to-and-fro movement… Good stuff. I was also glad to get more information about the multiple personality angle. I was a little concerned when 萌絵 was on the wild drinking spree or whatever, though she recovered quickly! I remain creeped out by the murderous doll mentions. And I like our main characters moving even more fully into investigative position–I don’t care about the realism of it. :grin: The people who work at this facility seem to have unpredictable morals and such anyway, and they know 萌絵 got the gigantic (unprecedented?) favor of an interview with their imprisoned 博士. Maybe they dimly sense going along with 萌絵 is self-preservation, considering all her コネ, lol.

Close to halfway through!

5 Likes

Saikawa does. Smoke. A LOT. But at least he knows it’s bad.

This still bugs me :stuck_out_tongue: I have trouble getting past how unrealistic this is, which is a shame because everything else is indeed the start of a good murder mystery.

5 Likes

That’s fair! I hope you find a way to get past it, or (even better) they do better at explaining it from now on. :smiley:

2 Likes