Week 20

hakase

Start Date: Jan 30th
Previous Part: Week 19

Reading:

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page End Percentage Page Count
Week 20 Jan 30th [End Chapter 11] 282 98% 13

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

I already read this part last week because I thought the club was way further along :sweat_smile:
I really enjoyed the book. It was beautifully written and quite easy to read (especially compared to 雪国 which I was reading concurrently). Everything was described quite clearly. Learning about maths in Japanese was cool; baseball, well, still not really interested in it :joy:

The book had many 切ない moments. This week especially, it felt like (it’s the ending after all). Root becoming a maths teacher was just beautiful.
I also liked the fact that 博士 doesn’t die until the end. I was actually expecting him to die during / immediately after the party last week. So my expectations were 裏切られた in a good way.
The ending felt really peaceful. Not overly dramatic, but still sad and simply 切ない…
I also liked that the 未亡人 became friends/acquaintances with our 家政婦さん in the end. :blush:

9 Likes

Agree with everything. A really nice slow train pulling into the station. I’m definitely going to read more of 小川洋子.

Also, 博士 wearing the 江夏 card around his neck was the most heartwarming thing ever.

6 Likes