Week 2: 詩的私的ジャック - JACK THE POETICAL PRIVATE (S&M Vol.4)

Join the Saikawa & Moe (S&M) Series Book Club here!

詩的私的ジャック - JACK THE POETICAL PRIVATE (S&M Vol.4) Home Thread

Week 2

Start Date: June 25th
Previous Part: Week 1
Next Part: Week 3

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 2 June 25th Chapter 3 + 4 36 + 38

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Previous Proper Nouns
Name Reading Notes Proof
犀川 創平 さいかわ そうへい Protagonist (Week 1)
西之園 萌絵 にしのその もえ Protagonist
西之園 恭輔 にしのその きょうすけ Moe’s dad
西之園 捷輔 にしのその しょうすけ Moe’s uncle
結城 稔 ゆうき みのる Rock star
結城 寛 ゆうき ひろし Minoru’s big brother
篠崎 敏治 しのざき としはる Student, Minoru’s friend
杉東 千佳 すぎとう ちか Teacher, Hiroshi’s wife
藤井 紀子 ふじい のりこ Teacher (made the log house)
前川 聡美 まえかわ さとみ Victim
三浦 みうら Cop
浜口 悦夫 はまぐち えつお Technician from T大
田中 たなか Other guy from T大
河原田 かわらだ Forensics
岡部 おかべ SF club member
鵜飼 うかい Young cop
相田 素子 あいだ もとこ Victim #2
Name Reading Notes Proof
諏訪野 すわの Moe’s butler
西之園 都馬 にしのその トーマ Moe’s dog :wink:
国枝 桃子 くにえだ ももこ Saikawa’s assistant professor
牧野 洋子 まきの ようこ Student, Moe’s friend
喜多 きた Saikawa’s friend
さい Chinese student
金子 かねこ Male student
内田 かおり うちだ かおり Highschool student
1 Like

Feels like the pacing screeched to a halt after the first two chapters, which feels kind of intentional from the chapter names. Kind of funny how this “slow” section involves solving the two locked rooms.

Anyway, the book continues to be a bit odd. We jumped right into the murders but then solved the locked rooms (although they’re just simple mechanical tricks), rather than a well-developed location with a core group of connected characters we’re just kinda floating along out in the open.

Initially I thought it was odd how many murders Saikawa and Moe coincidentally run into, now I think it’s odd how many cement researchers Saikawa and Moe coincidentally run into

8 Likes

:joy: I don’t think that part’s completely random, but I see what you mean. For the murders, at least she does finally admit that it’s 偶然 (and what are the odds seriously).

4 Likes

Almost forgot, new names:

kanji reading description
諏訪野 すわの Moe’s butler
西之園都馬 にしのその トーマ Moe’s dog :wink:
国枝桃子 くにえだ ももこ Saikawa’s assistant professor
牧野洋子 まきの ようこ Student, Moe’s friend
喜多 きた Saikawa’s friend
さい Chinese student
金子 かねこ Male student
内田かおり うちだ かおり Highschool student
4 Likes

Thank you! I’m only halfway through this week’s reading by now, appreciate the support!

Ooooh, old acquaintance! I already wondered whether we’d ever meet him again.
If everything goes according to plan, I’ll read the second half tomorrow. Then I can encounter him directly :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The very last part of this week’s reading:

Moe realizing she basically knows nothing about Saikawa as a researcher :eyes: Kind of a crisis moment for her

7 Likes

:joy_cat: Can relate!

I rather think we’re up to another murder pretty soon - feels like there are some signs on the horizon already (the singer not coming back onto the stage for the final applause, various events being recounted with mentions of the precise time, like the cheers and the firestorm). Curious to see how this will continue!

3 Likes

Very unusual pacing indeed! Everything points to 稔 (or someone close to him) being the killer and the mysteries are solved, but there was very little murder story progress in these two chapters… apart from the odd lyrics of his song! “Something something in a locked room with me”? Which makes me think that maybe his victims wanted to be shown a locked room? Like, “Show me how to create a locked room mystery, Minoru!”, and then he kills them because he can? And because it’s simply an 遊び for him? Hmm.

I can’t say I have too much hopes for the depth of the motive; it feels like 森先生 is more about complicated setups and pulling them off correctly than about deeply psychological relatable murder motives. But that’s okay :smiley:

I also enjoy Moe being less pushy toward Saikawa… her behaviour made the previous volume hard to read sometimes. Some 幻滅 will do her good. I’m sure Saikawa will appreciate it as well.

Also, I felt this quote so much:

「犀川先生は、南京は初めてですか?」イントネーションに多少の問題はあるが、蔡が正しい日本語できいた。

4 Likes