Week 16: 君の名は - Your Name (Intermediate Book Club)

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

君の名は - Your Name Home Thread

Week 16

Start date: May 29th
Previous Part: Week 15
Next Part: Week 17

Reading

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page Page Count
Week 16 May 29th 「俺、こんな場所で、なにしてたんだ」 230– 10

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

1 Like

In my Tsubasa Bunko, this week’s reading ends on page 231.

So close to the end…

4 Likes

I’m two weeks behind. :sob: But I have plenty of time today. I’m going to sit down this afternoon and do it all in one shot. (At least, that’s the plan…) :fire:

Edit: Woo! I did it! :star_struck:

4 Likes

Finished this week’s reading. Some thoughts.

• It occurs to me that since Mitsuha’s plan stations Saya-chin at the school, she’ll be safe even if everything else goes wrong. I idly wonder if that was intentional or just a coincidence.
  • I like the description in the book of her response to Taki’s すきだ on her hand. In the movie, she just laugh-cries at it, gets up, and keeps going. Here in the book, it’s what actually gives her the strength to get up and keep going. Someone posted a YouTube video a few weeks ago of some guy’s interpretation of this movie (forgotten who that was, sorry) in which he said “He had to write “I love you” or his sacrifice wouldn’t have worked” or somesuch, but I think it’s more that if he’d written his name, Mitsuha’s thoughts in this scene would have been “… who’s that?”. Since he wrote instead すきだ, her response is now “there’s someone out there who loves me, even if I don’t know who it is”.
  • The movie’s scene of Mitsuha returning to her father’s office was always a bit unsatisfying to me - I wanted to see more convincing, more evacuating. Here in the book, we don’t even get that much (though I guess the “Whatever may happen, whatever stars may fall, I will live!” is a bit more triumphant).
  • The timing here has always bugged me a little bit. The first time we see the comet fall (at least in the film - the scene with Mitsuha at the end of Taki’s date doesn’t seem to occur in the book), little enough time passes between the splitting and the impact that Mitsuha is still standing where she was on the hillside. Here, the second time around, there’s enough time for her to return to her father’s office, convice her father, and then evacuate the entire town.
5 Likes