hakase

Start Date: Dec 19th
Previous Part: Week 13
Next Part: Week 15

Reading:

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page End Percentage Page Count
Week 14 Dec 19th [End Chapter 7] 202 70% 14

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

1 Like

On page 89, it says : 2の3217乗マイナス1

Does this mean

(2^3217) - 1 ?

2 Likes

Yes, all Mersenne numbers are of this form:

4 Likes

Yep, that’s how I read it as well.

(To confirm this, I asked Google about 2の10乗 and it answered 1024 - that was a nice surprise!)

5 Likes

A lot of mathematics this week. I am glad that I studied mathematics in French and not in Japanese.
Formule d’Euler et identité d’Euler:

4 Likes

Yeah, maybe I’m just a math nerd, but I found this section to be absolutely beautifully written. I was seriously moved by the way 小川洋子 thinks about and describes the numbers and the universe. It got me more excited about math than I have been for a while (and I really like math!) I’m definitely going to read some of her other stuff at some point or another.

By the way, did you know that Euler was schooled by the Bernoullis? I was also surprised to learn, fairly recently, that the Bernoullis were a big ol’ physics/math family, and not just one person, which probably explains why the name shows up all over the place. Euler was going to go into church stuff, but the Bernoulli’s convinced him (or his parents?) to study math instead. Thank God (or no thanks to God?)

6 Likes

I kind of had to chuckle every time I read the word オイラー, simply because おいら means „we, us“ :laughing:
Indeed a very nicely written week, again.

7 Likes