Week 12: フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket 🍏 🍇 🍑 🍒 🍐 🍊 🧺

Join the Beginner Book Club Book Club here!

Home Thread: フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket :green_apple: :grapes: :peach: :cherries: :pear: :tangerine: :basket:

Week 12

Fruits Basket 1

Start Date: September 5th
Previous Part: Week 11
Next Part: Week 13

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Pages (old) Pages (Collector’s) Page Count
Week 12 September 5th Chapter 11 128 - 160 (v2) 334 - 366 33

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

3 Likes

I loved Hana’s explanation in the background. “I saw everything” :joy:
Speaking of which, reminder that the kanji that looks like a mix of そ and す is the simplified version of 前, so “前に進む"

For once, I think I remember the new character. Momiji’s costume was pretty too!

2 Likes

来年も良い電波を。。。 :rofl: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
That line is cute and funny all at the same time. I just love it!

2 Likes

Ahhh, thank you! My reading group couldn’t figure it out at all, but now I have shared your wisdom.

1 Like

Just finished. :mechanical_arm:
I have to say, I find this harder than Kikis delivery service. There’s just so much vagueness in here. Hardest things are keeping track of the context… who’s talking, what they’re talking about and making sense of some of a lot of the sentences in general.

But thinking back to the first chapter I think it’s a bit less hard by now. Though I’m not trying to dissect every sentence with this manga anyway. Trying to embrace the ambiguity. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

That’s super interesting, I definitely find Kiki harder but it’s possible that I’m leaning quite heavily on the fact that Ive read Fruits Basket in English and also watched the anime several times!

2 Likes

Ya, I think that helps quite a lot, especially having read the English manga beforehand.
I watched the first Fruits Basket season when it aired (and currently watching the second season), so this definitely helps me too in getting the bigger picture and knowing all the relations between characters etc. I think it’d be a lot harder otherwise.

1 Like