Start Date: Jan 2nd
Previous Part: Week 9
Next Part: Week 11

Reading:

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page (角川文庫) End % Page Count
Week 10 Jan 2nd 指しながら地の雪に立った 154 85% 12

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for 雪国 - Snow Country :snowman::snowflake:

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Proper Noun Readings

Name Reading Notes Proof
島村 しまむら Our protagonist
葉子 ようこ The girl on the train Furigana
駒子 こまこ The girl in the village Furigana
1 Like

In my efforts to catch up I’m ending up not spending as much time looking things up and making sense of things myself as I did in the beginning. While I feel like I’m missing something by hurrying through like this, it feels like I’m mostly fine plot wise.

I’ve a question about the conversation they have around the end of this week’s part, the one that makes 駒子 leave for a bit. What exactly did she 聞きちがえる?

2 Likes

Same, it’s also working quite well I find (only one week left!!!). Especially since most of the words I don’t know aren’t really used today anyway, so I’m probably not missing out on any crucial vocab.

Regarding your question: I wasn’t quite sure myself so I re-read that part; I think he’s just referring to the fact that she took his いい女だ kind of weirdly? At least she gets really angry, thinks he’s making fun of her, and starts crying.
So I assumed it was meant more 聞き間違い in the sense of interpreting his words in the wrong way, rather than actually mishearing.

3 Likes