Week 10: 君の名は - Your Name (Intermediate Book Club)

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

君の名は - Your Name Home Thread

Week 10

Start date: April 17th
Previous Part: Week 9
Next Part: Week 11

Reading

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page Page Count
Week 10 Apr 17th 同時だった 146– 17

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Tsubasa Bunko edition is still in sync. Reading also ends on page 146 for me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Kinda just had a small brainwave while reading this week’s reading: is the town called 糸守 because the cord (糸) around his wrist is the charm (お守り) that links their lives together?

Also, a question: near the end of page 135 in my edition (may be the same in the regular edition), there’s the sentence むしくるまおともしない。, with exactly that furigana. Is there a particular distinction between the ね and おと readings?

2 Likes

I don’t read kimi no na wa right now because every Japanese text is too hard for me on my level, but still I got interested in the difference you’ve mentioned, does they have the same meaning? If you will find an answer please let me know! And… if you can, please, translate this sentence for me, I recognized all the kanji but still can’t get a complete understanding of the sentence, it’s something about car, insect and sound, but what exactly???

1 Like

Jisho lists them as different readings of the same word. I tried Googling a bit, and Google suggests that ね is for things that sound nicer, sounds from nature, sounds that are more tonal (like a bell, say), while おと is for loud, unpleasant and/or less-ordered sounds.

“There weren’t even the sounds of insects or the sounds of cars”.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

So, exhausted, delirious and drunk, and misguided by dreams and wild ideas, 瀧くん falls and hits his head in a what-will-be fatal accident. The rest of this book follows his fever dream as his brain attempts to process his imminent demise.

3 Likes

Well that’s kinda depressing, even for Shinkai. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Haha. Drunk. Yeah I suppose so!

1 Like