[Web App] WaniKani History + Timemachine

That color looks pretty nice! Would there be a way to enforce 100% as the top of the graph though?

2 Likes

Yo, good work so far guys, I really love to lurk here and see the progress

Now I feel bad about complaining about such a stupid thing again, but if its quick fix, i would love to actually see my longest streak as my current streak (the only streak). Currently my longest streak shows as 0 and its bugging me slightly.
I saw saraqaels screenshot of 166 current streak, 166 longest streak so i think its supposed to work like that? l guess its showing 0 for me because i didnt have single day of not doing reviews in my entire WK history so i dont really have a single finished streak to compare this ongoing streak to?

5 Likes

Don’t feel bad about reporting a bug, worst thing that could happen is nothing

2 Likes

Having 100% be the top of the chart would be even better if possible, yes!

EDIT: I also feel like the “total amount kanji percentage” literature chart would be better off having the total percentage on the y axis labels rather than the number of total kanji - “10000000” means very little to me, whereas “50%” actually gives some useful information!

2 Likes

I just saw all of your great feedback today and I’m gonna get to implementing it all soon. Thanks as always for your ideas and critique, as well as bug reports :wink: I’m currently on vacation but will get to it as soon as I can (likely today)!

3 Likes

I noticed that my daily streak is greater than my account age:

This obviously doesn’t make too much sense, so I’ve been wondering if the streak is calculated wrongly.
Either that, or this is some timezone issue (I’m UTC +1).

Anyhow, wkstats.com and the heatmap script claim that both my account age and streak length is 120 days (start date 2022-04-22)

2 Likes

First of all, sorry for the really long wait again :smiling_face_with_tear: I had a lot to do. But now it’s time to reveal my fixes and implementations (I hope they even work)!

I merged this pull request.
edit: Great stuff btw. Works really well!! :+1:

I added the lines to the literature charts and, as you can see the percentage as the y-axis as well!

I think that should be fixed now too. Let me know if it worked for you! :smile:

I tried to fix it but I couldn’t really reproduce the error. For me the review streak aligns with the one from the heatmap :man_shrugging: But definitely let me know how it looks now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Perfect! thanks for looking at it :slight_smile:

dont sweat it man, its just a fun side project - its not like we are paying you to code :smiley: i really hope wanikani have not completely turned from japanese learning website to coding learning website for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:flushed: well…

2 Likes

It does look good now:

Thanks for taking your time to fix this :smile:

2 Likes

Uh-oh… don’t fall into the reorder abuse trap please!

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: I’m already trying to get it back on track. It got like this because I was on vacation (and using reorder script during that time) while still wanting to keep my streak alive so I didn’t activate vacation mode. Well, I guess I’ll just have to grind it down a bit before leveling up again.

4 Likes

Hi, this is an amazing resource - I’m getting so much information out of it.
A couple of suggestions/requests:

1. In the SRS item history, I’d like to be able to ‘turn off’ the Burned items - I have 3000 burns, so all of the other levels are squashed down the bottom of the graph. In fact all I actually want to see is the Apprentice levels, perhaps if I could toggle the levels by clicking on the legend or something?
  2. I find the walls of fame/shame of very little value. The graphics and labels tell me very little. I think I would prefer something with more data points. Maybe top/bottom 10 items. Also I don’t get much out of the correct/incorrect ratio. I think I would prefer a measure like “Time spent at Apprentice level”.

Just some ideas - love your work

2 Likes

This site is getting stuck on a loading screen whenever I try open it, anyone know why or how I can fix?

2 Likes

Wanikani’s server has a “rate limit” for fetching data. It’s possible that you hit the rate limit. Try waiting for 1 minute and see if it resumes. (After the first time, it shouldn’t need to fetch all of the data again, so it should only be a one-time issue).

If it doesn’t resume within 1 minute, open the Javascript Console (press F12 and click the Console tab) and report any errors that you see there.

2 Likes

Wow this is a fantastic tool (only just stumbled across it now)! I tried to compare various text corpora with WaniKani levels as well (Anki x MorphMan if you know that) but this stylish online tool is super convenient. I love working towards the ability to read a particular novel.

Would it be silly to have a similar plot like the kanji coverage plot but for words in general? In some sense, I’d expect the number of words in a novel to be a multiple of the number of kanji but in a way it would be neat to see that on WK level x you not only have p% coverage of the kanji but also q% of the words appearing in that text.

1 Like

I think this is related to the CORS policy error. For me it does not work at the moment either but I don’t exactly know why because on a different device it still works just fine. That error is notoriously elusive, I think. You could try using a different API key or a different browser and see if it works (it works in microsoft edge for me.)
A quick and dirty way if you use chrome would be to go into the search bar in windows and type “Run” and open it. Then type chrome.exe --user-data-dir="C://Chrome dev session" --disable-web-security which would basically disable CORS. It worked for me but I can’t really say I recommend doing it because it disables the default chrome security for the tab that opened…

@rfindley Any ideas why that might not be working? :smiling_face_with_tear: The error seems to occur in the wkof where the data is fetched (“Apiv2.js”). It either gives this error below or the CORS policy error…

I also thought about that and it’d be a great addition. But I don’t really know how I could realize it yet. For the Kanji I just analyzed the raw pdf files for the books myself but it’s quite hard to filter out words from just the text of books. I also couldn’t find any premade datasets of Japanese words for specific books. But I’ll definitely try to find a way to do it if you want to have it added :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve never been able to reproduce it, even with the API key of people having the issue.

1 Like

Ok, well then. It’ll just stay an eternal mystery. Only the CORS gods know how to fix this.

Making a new API key fixed it

2 Likes