Wayyy to slow

It’s the nature of forums…deal with it. :clown_face:

Gosh, you’re fowl.

6 Likes

I did add a clown face

2 Likes

Repeating this. There’s already a second thread by the same OP on the same topic anyway.

@CyrusS

4 Likes

Have you considered that assuming everything a particular race does is racist might be… racist? Nevermind the idea that a culture could be inherently racist. That’s some strong wording right there.
I’m not denying that Japan can be xenophobic. But I live in the US. Talk about glass houses.

1 Like

No, that’s not what racism is and most countries have specific laws to combat it (ok specific examples could be made I guess but in general not). Yes, a culture could be inherently racist just as people are shown to be but it’s the rational mind and actions that counters this in society and personally (we would hope).

Japan is a very unique case though (and that’s also why we love it). I would love somebody to hypothesize that if they can acknowledge that a country is inherently xenophobic, how might that creep into bureaucracy. the courts and other institution…all the while keeping my point about names on resumes fresh in their minds.

In the immortalized words of Karen Carpenter:

“We’ve only just begun~”

2 Likes

That song is forever this movie now…

1 Like

Most likely incorrect. There very likely is, we just aren’t sure yet what that number (or more likely range) is. We are pretty confident that 6 million items is too many and zero is too little. I could probably narrow the range a bit more, but I feel that may be pointless.

I typically agree with giving users as many options as possible but defacing an entire learning curriculum because some people want it when the current method clearly works well (growing community) seems like an inadvisable move to me.

The whole “adapt or die” thing is another one of those phrases that are unfortunately blindly applied to any context when it was meant for a specific one. That’s kind of why catch-all phrases annoy me (way too easy to decontextualize and recontextualize - yes, I believe I may have just invented those two words).

As some have pointed out, this question has been asked a million times, and I hope we remain just as kind and civil as we have been so far. Welcoming new users with a list of forum links where the question was posed or telling them to stop asking questions that have been asked before is unnecessarily passive-aggressive and would naturally leave a person not wanting to contribute as much for fear of being shot down. Thank you to everyone who has been civil and welcoming :slight_smile:.

9 Likes

Well it’s actually very precise in this context as it simply means that if you don’t evolve to your environment, you will do extinct. Almost every business out there knows this as it’s taught in Business 101 to always be looking to which way the wind is blowing.

Web based products are also very vulnerable, specially for area such and WK’s as there is next to no copyright’able content save for the graphics and maybe the mnemonics. It would not be too hard to duplicate this service and add in a throttle algorithm and then not only would WK have competition but also one that offers what a percentage of the customers are asking for.

Evolution baby…Evolution…got to love it…

This video about Kanji is the first that jumps to mind that mentions how the three systems of writing help make it easier to read.

5 Likes

Many of the radicals are used later on so that’s one big reason of skipping. Also many people may know a reading for that kanji but not the reading they want you to learn frist to match with memronics.

If they did let people skip or do lessons anytime they want I can bet there will be people “learning” all 2000 kanji and just not doing any reviews but saying they completed everything in 2 months.

Why do the reviews if your not forced to? Just do lessons.

1 Like

Good find but the example at 1:40 is a bit artificial I’d say as it’s forcing the use of katakana over kanji. But I do get the point of the video however small when it comes to katakana.

1 Like

Yes, it’s probably a very small reason but it’s real: reputation management. Universities have this issue to worry about with their degrees as well. If someone could burn items they thought they knew (but didn’t really know), they could get the “degree” (Level 60, claim to have “done” wanikani) pretty fast. The trouble is, later they go claim to someone else they “did” wanikani, but their knowledge sucks. Now the percieved value of that degree (in that someone else’s mind) has gone down for everyone. Multiply by thousands.

(Note: I don’t actually think people are doing WaniKani for the degree, or that anyone is treating it as a recommendation like a degree. But from a business perspective, reputation and percieved value can absolutely matter.)

4 Likes

Great point but from a business perspective, it’s all about balance. You do need to protect your brand but it can’t be at the cost of something else to any significant level.

Protective actions run amok…

There are literally a few dozen people who use WK who are capable of duplicating it and relaunching it but there are a few good reasons no one is doing that:

1. People have other interests.
  2. People aren’t nearly as much d***heads as we seem to think.
  3. People have other things to do, not limited to focusing on their careers and families.
  4. People don’t have as much motivation to redo what’s already been done.
  5. People are too busy actually learning Japanese.
    And a host of other reasons.

As for evolution, it is the environment that selects, not the species, so until the environment decides that WK is no longer capable of surviving within it, it is here to stay. It’s precisely because it is so inelegant that we try to avoid applying theoretical evolutionary biology like it’s a blanket science that can encompass the humanities… But I digress.

6 Likes

As for copyrightable material: in the world we live in, copyright does not actually protect anyone from anything. You just need to fly a few hours to manufacture a product you are not actually authorized to and sell it for a fraction of the IP-holder’s selling price. There are many products that are actually flooding markets this way, notably in mobile accessories. What protects people’s IP is usually consumers and brand reputation.

It’s referred to as “environment pressures” I believe and if the spices cannot adapt quick enough to a detrimental change then most-likely they are in for a ruff ride. The spices actually is what does the selecting…it’s in the very name: Natural Selection…the environment just…is.

BTW, that “adapt-or-die” phrase so everywhere in business…google it and you will get page after page of Forbes, CNBC and other business related advice/stories. It’s tried, true and tested…Ask Blockbuster about it or maybe Yahoo :slight_smile:

There actually are Anki decks with WaniKani’s content but I won’t link them for obvious reasons. I choose not to use them because

1. I personally think it’s wrong
  2. I can’t stand Anki
  3. I love WaniKani’s way of presenting things that just isn’t possible in Anki
5 Likes