Wayyy to slow

No it’s the fact that people think there’s a problem because they don’t have more reviews faster. If they know how the SRS system works they will know to have patience.

2 Likes

They could use new kanji…that’s the point…and when does Japan embrace “easier”? :rofl:

Dude…I’m not going to do this again in the same thread…and I know how SRS works…it’s been around for a while…

1 Like

Are you suggesting they add even more Kanji??? You sir are a sadist!

They have 電視. It’s the same thing. (electricity, and look at).

1 Like

I didn’t say you didn’t know how it works. The issue is with new users wondering why they don’t have reviews faster.

1 Like

At first I dropped down to around 15, if I remember correctly. But I found that to be a bit low in the long run. So at some point I continued to do 15 when I was working through kanji lessons, but bumped it up to 30 when there was mostly (or only after I started using the reorder script) vocabulary left. That’s just what I feel worked well for me, though. I’m sure it’ll vary per person.

1 Like

thats definitely not true, I am far from being a beginner and I mean I’d love to progress but the platform is so broken I dont study anything new for days and it doesnt seem like im gonna get anything but reviews

I am not even complaining about lack of reviews, I am complaining about a huge lack of lessons, too many reviews, I dont mind waiting 2-5-10 hours for something new, not for the same review I did 30 times before.

oh come on !
if you’re not happy, go learn on another platform … there are a thousand ways of learning kanjis , here is only one , if it does not suit you just try something else !

They won’t change How WK work just because you keep on complaining on the forum

1 Like

but its obviously not just me complaining
and its obviously an issue
and theres obviously countless other platforms,
but I chose to give WK a chance and I am not going to leave it just cause it makes me wait

Think I’ll just watch this time…

NYU9l

3 Likes

It isn’t broken. You just don’t seem to understand how it works just yet. Reading the Guide and FAQ would help with that, if you haven’t already.

4 Likes

I think most all of us here understand that frustration, whether we experienced it here ourselves or just through empathy. I’d be curious to see how you feel as you level up, since you seem to want to stick with it.

I feel like with most all of these “not fast enough” threads, either the person gives up, or they continue to try out the site, but never return to the thread to update whether or not things have changed for them. Which is unfortunate, both out of curiosity, and for the lack of seeing if this system does end up working for them. (So all it ends up looking like are a bunch of complaining threads with no resolution.)

To extend on what Mac was saying, by “beginner” I’m assuming they meant level wise, which in this case would be true. Most all the threads made about this issue are from people levels 1-5, and almost guaranteed level 1 being the most popular to bring it up. Typically, as people level up, the system starts to really push in, and there’s nothing to complain about anymore, aside from being overwhelmed with too much instead of too little, haha.

If you do remember, I’d love it if you came back to let us know if your feelings change at all :slight_smile:

Otherwise, a better place to bring this up would probably be to directly email WK staff. Though if I’m being honest, I highly doubt they would change the system. We get these threads all the time, and if that hasn’t convinced them yet, I’m doubting one more thread/email would. But hey, you’re welcome to voice it to them and see what they say.

Edit:

And I guess a reminder worth noting: WK was built to be “completed” in just under 2 years, which in the grand scheme of things, is probably the fastest and most effective place out there that does kanji education (apart from self-teaching, which I suppose in theory could go faster with more kanji, I wouldn’t know. But odds are it has happened before, haha. I couldn’t do it though xD)

Instead of immediate gratification, getting more sooner/faster, it might help to look at the bigger picture. As frustrating as the start may be, 2 years is an insane amount of time to learn 2000 kanji, yet it’s possible here.

And as mentioned previously, you can always offset the lulls with other work–either peeking ahead on WK (since you’re paying already) or using other sources, like textbooks, Italki, Bunpro, Anki, Kitsun, etc. You’ll want to do that soon anyway, if you’re serious about learning Japanese. For my advice, the sooner the better.

1 Like

Okay, I’m not sure if i can add something entirely new, but this phrasing and summary may help?
Anyway, WK at lvl 1 throws you a handful of kanji/radicals and expects you to perfectly recall 90% three days or so after the last time you got them right. When youreach lvl 2, it’ll dump a bunch of new lessons on you right away. If you like to learn newthings every day, maybe space them out so you’re constantly engaged. At that time, you’ll also be getting lvl 1 reviews along with lvl 2. The more lvls you get, the more kanji you’ll be working on at once. Even at a lower lvl like mine, I get 150+ new lessons and that is plenty to keep me occupied.
But, as others have said, you are in the lvl 1 wait, the worst in my opinion, where not only is there nothing new to learn, there isn’t that much old stuff to do. You said you won’t leave just because you have to wait; well that attitude will pay off of you really just wait for the learning cycles to accumulate.

1 Like

you see I am aware its due to my low level, but I don’t want to be low level anymore, which is why I’d love to see an option to manually progress to next level after doing the kanji at a set success percentage, but it’s not going to happen

I love the platform and I truly do understand why waiting is essential, as I mentioned before I was studyign Kanji and Japanese way before I even saw wanikani, which is also partially why its so frustrating to be stuck at lvl 1 for no reason whatsoever

1 Like

Depending on how many kanji you know, WK may not be worth the time and money for you.

I personally started with about 500 kanji in hand (about 4 months before I was getting 100% content that was new to me), but I imagine at like 1000 or so, it would be a little bit silly.

And it would be outrageous to start from scratch after you already did all 60 levels, especially.

12 Likes

We understand that, but, if I were to put it in perspective for you, you’ll have to wait a few days or more (depending on your speed/accuracy) before leveling up. I think the slowness comes from feeling like there isn’t much to do, but in reality, it’s about a week, and then BAM, dozens of new lessons before another week, then BAM, maybe even 100 new lessons (I forget, it’s been a while, haha, but it’s a lot).

I know it’s not instant gratification, but I think it’s worth the test of patience, because you’ll certainly need it later when you’re finding that you have too much to do.

WK isn’t meant to be used by itself either.

Take advantage of the down time you have now, trust me. I sure wish I did x’D

1 Like

This makes me wonder how a test-out system would fare, like with what Duolingo has?

The common response from WK on that is that you can’t test out of their radicals and those keep coming up throughout the whole system.

2 Likes

Oh true! Forgot about radicals.