Ways in which WK has disappointed me, personally

:joy: :joy: :joy: sorry, that is just so well-put, I couldn’t resist - sumimasen

1 Like

I am not making a comment on how it should be, I am commenting on how it is

5 Likes

Seems to me like a teenage rebellion then.

3 Likes

I think owners of trademarks such as Aspirin, Dry Ice, Escalator, and Trampoline would agree with you, but the reality is that the world at large does not.

4 Likes

You’ll have to excuse me, but I’m really struggling to understand your point. Yes, I know how (quite a lot of) the world thinks about Christmas, of course I’m perfectly aware of it. But what - beyond pointing out the obvious - are you trying to say? That I should agree with the secular view of Christmas just because in some countries it is the most common perspective? That I should agree when schools want to re-write Christmas Carols to make them non-Christian? I’m hardly going to do that. Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ.

4 Likes

Again, I’ve reiterated this in the past days but please be mindful of Rule 3 here. @anon1067447 @monkeyshine89

I also encourage people to take a step back and think about what they’re posting before they hit post. Are you adding something to this discussion or just getting into it with someone else? Are you discussing the points raised in the original post here? This is already drifting into discussion that I would describe is off-topic.

Since the topic over the changes to the old mnemonics have been discussed numerous times on the forums, I feel it’s good to remind people that all of the changes and additions to WaniKani are discussed extensively by the team and then we make a decision on it. We get a lot of user feedback on a lot of things. Some we act on, some we don’t. Some are taken into account during discussions. Ultimately we make the final call on what goes on the site.

9 Likes

You can also recognize the subscription plan simply by the color.
White = not paying
Blue = Monthly/Yearly
Purple = Lifetime
Gold = Level 60 (this one’s an exception)
And considering this I think paid and lifetime are both about as common.

4 Likes

You know, this never even occurred to me before. Thanks for pointing this out.

1 Like

This was in reply to monkeyshine89

I think it’s pretty obvious that those changes were made at the request of complaints. I agree with you that it isn’t a big deal, but If I’m currently learning a reading then I’m going to look at the mnemonic multiple times, if that mnemonic suddenly changes then that’s a problem. I can’t just use any mnemonic I want because I don’t always know when mnemonics are changed, I don’t always remember what the old mnemonics were. Furthermore the mnemonics I haven’t learned yet will be lower quality.

I think your post got yeeted but I want to reply anyway because there are legitimate downsides to changing mnemonics.

1 Like

no problem, lol ^^. Those things happen more often than one would think. I once read a post by someone saying how he didn’t notice until level 50 that in reviews the background for "meaning* is grey and the one for “reading” is black. And he only noticed because someone wrote about it.

4 Likes

Well this went off the rails…

So you posted a questionable “news” article about children presumably in a secular school not being made to chant religious songs. So? What if you sent your child to a public school and they came home singing songs about Allah or Tom Cruise’s spaceship. Would that be ok?

The secularization of Christmas is the direct result of branding and indoctrination carried out by religious institutions themselves. They wanted it ubiquitous and they got their wish. Children are forced, with great emotional violence and against their will, to learn and believe religious doctrines before their minds can interpret and judge such concepts. A good chunk can salvage their emotional well-being later in life and drop these beliefs, but still are forced to celebrate this all-consuming holiday from which they cannot escape. It’s either secularize it or break grandma’s heart once a year.

7 Likes

That I can believe. I will not tell you how long it took for me to register the colors between kanji and vocab is changing - and how many reviews I failed because of it :joy: ah, the enlightenment when it dawned on me - sublime!

2 Likes

Just so we can end this, since this has nothing to do with WK: just use X-mas if you want. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I understand that having things retroactively changed with little or no notice can be frustrating. But I am not a fan of this “darn PC pinko libs ruining wanikani” vibe I’m getting. We don’t know who if anyone complained. Could have easily just been decided by the team for whatever reason without user input. I mean look at the reason my post got yeeted. It could have been said those memes are not family friendly. Generally family values types are not on the left.

Whenever I hear things like “PC culture” it makes me feel the person Im talking with is not discussing in good faith.

6 Likes

No, I posted a legitimate news article about a specific school in Essex in the UK last year where the Head Teacher, Zakia Khatun, had ordered that references to Jesus as “Lord” be removed from Christmas Carols in order that non-Christians were able to participate in the celebration.

I would ask that my child be excused from those activities. What I wouldn’t do, in the name of diversity, is insist that my child participate and that the words of the song must be changed in order to allow for that.

3 Likes

I know I’m new here but I would also been interested in learning the stroke patterns for the kanji. I’m having to find that information elsewhere.

There is a script for that if you’re willing to use addons

3 Likes

First off, you need to vet news sources very carefully. The likelihood that a Christian newspaper is going to give you a balanced and accurate picture of a situation is vanishingly small. It is more likely they will try to get you all fired up to protect the institution against inevitable irrelevance. Like the Republicans and Fox.

Second, IF it were true, you are proposing that minority students be ostracized because they do not share the religious beliefs of the majority. That is unconscionable.

Was this a supposed incident at a private parochial Christian school or public? I don’t know what the laws are in the UK, but to any moral person, it is clear that public school is not an appropriate venue to indoctrinate children to a particular religious view. They should not be singing songs like that at all.

7 Likes

I blame you too for my 53% performance this afternoon… :laughing:

(How is it 36℃ in london?!)

3 Likes

Wow rude. :joy: