Want to Play Pokemon

I installed software on my 3DS that let me copy the game file to my computer, from which I could then extract all the Japanese text from the game. (I have the US release of Alpha Sapphire, but it has language selection, so all the Japanese text is in the game for kana and kanji modes.) I’d already done this in the past, so I had the files available to me.

With a copy of the Japanese text file, I used a regular expression find and replace to remove all non-kanji characters. This gave me the rough total kanji count. Afterwards, I stripped out all duplicate kanji, leaving one of each kanji.

Finally, I dropped the kanji into a Google Docs sheet I put together previously that matches it up with WaniKani kanji.

The text file I used may not include the PokeDex, so it’s possible there’s actually more unique kanji than my numbers gave. But for all dialogue and storyline, the numbers I gave include that.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.