WaniKani's translation for 回転ずし - a bit odd?

Running sushi?

8 Likes

Must be what the Dubai emergency services use.

1 Like

That makes me think of wasei eigo.

2 Likes

I think “take away” is British English. I’m an American and always say “to go” or “take out” when I want food or drink but am not dining in. So sometimes what doesn’t sound natural to one native English speaker may be actually the natural spoken terminology to another. It depends on country of origin, as well as region.

TBH, up until the day I learned “rotating sushi”, I would say something in the lines of “those restaurants where the sushi go around on a conveyor belt thingy”.

Maybe I should add that as a synonym.

5 Likes

I think that’s probably pretty accurate for US usage.

There actually are sushi restaurants that deliver by a little train in addition to the conveyor belt. For example, when you order something made to order, they send it directly to your booth by a little train. The conveyor belt has pre-made stuff you can pull off at any time with no wait. Not really sure if sushi trains exist outside of Japan.

3 Likes

That sushi might be too fresh for my tastes.

1 Like

They do. I’ve been to one in the suburbs of Chicago. It’s literally the only one I’ve seen in the US, though, so they’re probably pretty rare.

1 Like

That’s good to know. If I get the chance to visit Chicago again, I’ll have to look for it.

Hey Illinois peeps! I’m originally from Peoria. B)

I’ll have to check out these sushi train restaurants next time I’m in the area. Do you remember the name?

Oh sweet! I’m from the west side of Chicago and currently living in the Oak Park area.

I don’t remember the name of the one with an actual train, but this is another 回転ずし shop that’s similar, and pretty good. Sushi Station

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.