WaniKani's translation for 回転ずし - a bit odd?

Hello everyone!
recently I hit the vocabulary 回転ずし in my “new vocabulary” feed.

The offered translations are:
Rotating Sushi, Conveyor Belt Sushi, Revolving Sushi, Sushi Train, Sushi Go Round

They seem all to be correct but not very common, I think…
Conveyor Belt Sushi is the most technical term, but who says that? :smile:
And Sushi Train is a bit on the fancy side for my feeling.

For me the most common name is RUNNING SUSHI.
This one is not listed!! Why?? :smiley:

I am not an English native speaker but I think also outside of Germany,
everywhere people say RUNNING SUSHI. Am I wrong??

Let me know what you think. I found it a bit odd. :smiley:

Have a nice day!!

Never heard anyone say running sushi.

9 Likes

You can always add your own meaning. Personally (also German) I’d just say “Kaitensushi”, but that’s just me.

1 Like

I think “running sushi” is a very German term, I’ve never heard it in other countries. It might be similar to how they say “beamer” for “projector”, “handy” for mobile phone, “public viewing”… they all sound like English terms but they are not.

But that is what the synonyms are for. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

In Denmark we also call it “running sushi” ^^

1 Like

Hello Leebo!
Thanks! Looks like we Germans do the same thing like the Japanese: Adapting single English words and creating new terms! :smiley: haha!

Hello Lainlein,
thank you! I already did. First time I used this option. Yeah, Kaitensushi I’ve read in Germany as well.

Hello Irrelephant,
thank you for pointing that out! Seems we do the same thing like the Japanese: Assembling random English words to new terms… haha. I was aware of “handy” being not a known English term. The others I didn’t know either also were wrong! Good to know! :slight_smile:

Hello CakePie,
Thanks!! :slight_smile:

Laufensushi? Wo laufen?

I’m sorry my german is no good. But do you call it running sushi, in english, or laufensushi? Because if it is the former it is pretty interesting.

Not OP, but I’d suppose people call it “running sushi”. German is sometimes a bit clunky so advertisers use artificial English words to sound catchy. As many (elderly) people don’t know English too well, they usually try to use simple English words, leading to such expressions as “coffee to go” (take away), “body bag” (special kind of backpack with only one shoulder strap), “handy” (mobile phone), “public viewing” (public screening of football games), etc.

2 Likes

“[something] to go” is fine, that’s used in America at least.

“Body bag” has a very different meaning…

As does “handy” as a noun, heh.

11 Likes

Never heard of “running sushi” before, what’s the German equivalent of that supposed to be? Lauf-Sushi? But then again I have never heard of conveyor belt sushi (or Fließband-Sushi) before WaniKani either, but at least it makes sense. In the end, to me, it’s all sushi, haha.

Around the United States I’ve heard “sushi boat” or “sushi train”, and the common but boring name was “Conveyor belt sushi”. After seeing “sushi-go-round” here on WaniKani, I call it only that to everyone’s amusement. I’m teaching English in Japan right now, so I’m also telling all the Japanese kids this translation. Let them think that “sushi-go-round” is the only way to say it, hahahha.

3 Likes

Um, yeah, if I gave my husband a handy for Christmas, it would mean something very different in English!

6 Likes

Makes for ‘handy’ mnemonics involving 手.
:facepunch::eggplant::sweat_drops::disappointed_relieved::angry:

1 Like

Here in Seattle, I’ve only ever heard “Conveyor belt sushi” :stuck_out_tongue: If the Sushi is running, it grew legs and was still alive, that’s scary lol.

2 Likes

From this day forth I will always refer to backpacks as body bags.

5 Likes

In czech we call it running too.

Never heard about sushi train, I would imagine something like this:

3 Likes

The internet says its a real thing.