WaniKani's New Terms of Service

Hi Everyone,

In 30 days, WaniKani will be updating its Terms of Service :anguished:

In terms of the actual content and the stuff you’re agreeing to, not a lot has changed. Instead, this update is more about how our terms were written. Whether you’re a lawyer who’s good at parsing perplexing legal lingo, or a lawyer who’s not so good at reading good, we wanted to make our terms easy to understand. Please give them a read regardless of what kind of lawyer you are (or aren’t). It’s important to understand the terms to which you’re agreeing to as you use WaniKani.

Read the new ToS: https://www.wanikani.com/terms

P.S. I hear there’s a durtle that loves people who read terms of services… Those who post in this thread with a fact or informational tidbit about the ToS may attract it?

56 Likes
Regarding - New Terms of Service
The basics of WaniKani
Descent of the Durtle into eGoooott - NOW AT B8!
Regarding - New Terms of Service
Lifetime subscription without lessons?
Descent of the Durtle into eGoooott - NOW AT B8!
pinned globally #2

Thank you for putting TL;DRs in the TOS, that’s the first time I see that and it’s amazing.

44 Likes

Unfortunately I lost both my eyebrows in 'Nam so I can’t read. I trust you’re only making me agree to give my soul or something.

16 Likes

Apparently if we want to sue you, we can’t do it electronically. It’s got be served in writing.

18 Likes

Oh… okay… :cry:

34 Likes

Terms of service factoid: A human must create your account

There are hedgehogs, robots, dogs, cats, catgirls and all other manner of non-human beings on the forums. Will their accounts be revoked? Or did a human make their accounts for them?:thinking:

18 Likes

Formatting of the quotes in the text needs some work (coming up as &ldqou; in some places) - Good thing there’s a provision for editing the ToS! But I am definitely loving the tl;dr. It makes it so much easier for my not read good not lawyer brain :slight_smile:

1 Like

I demand an explanation for this! D:<

My factoids about the ToS:

This sound like a part of a Hunger Games manual:

Capture1

Sever limbs. Don’t waiver. Survive. Check. :ballot_box_with_check:

Also: D:

Edit: The last thing is already being taken care of, I see. So disregard this. :purple_heart:

9 Likes

All the minors with accounts are now all like:

75 Likes

I’m on the quotes, everyone. The update will get posted in a few.

16 Likes

Well, @ZengoTim is a doggo, can he keep his account?

3 Likes

Never has a ToS page been so popular. :purple_heart:

ToS right now

old-man-crying

34 Likes

Accounts registered by “$1&rdqou; or other automated methods are not permitted.

I confirm I didn’t use $1&rdqou to register, only a browser :smiley:

9 Likes

You got the new badge?

3 Likes
  1. “Agreement” refers, collectively, to all the terms, conditions, notices contained or referenced in this document (the “Terms of Service” or the “Terms&rdqou;) and all other operating rules, policies (including the WaniKani Privacy Policy, available at wanikani.com/privacy) and procedures that we may publish from time to time on the Website.

you find the weird thingy in the Definitions as well :open_mouth:

oh and under 2. Content : … bla bla : “Content&rdqou; bla as well :smiley: :durtle_megane:

P.S.:
Conduct restrictions:

• impersonate any person or entity, including any of our employees or representatives, including through false association with Tofugu, or by fraudulently misrepresenting your identity or site’s purpose;

aren’t we all trying to impersonate somebody who actually understands Kanji O_O?

3 Likes

But… but… :sob:

8 Likes

“you will not under any circumstances…attempt to disrupt or tamper with Tofugu’s servers”

Does breaking the poll thread count? :thinking: :smile:

26 Likes

Yes. ^^ Important ToS-Hunger Game comparisons had to be made. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Tbh I’m a bit disappointed that you guys would claim that no one wants this to become a spam haven. How am I expected to agree to ToS that would reject this???

12 Likes