WaniKani Updates June 28, 2017

Whoops, made a typo thing in the link. Fixed it so it’s broken.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I call the generic message. I suppose it’s not entirely generic, though – it only shows up when trying to access nonexistent items.

1 Like

I remember getting that message all the time before I got lifetime. 懐かしい。。。

1 Like

Or when you don’t have access to the content (you’re not yet over the pay wall)… So in that case… It might still be there… In spirit.

1 Like

I just learned the word 粗品 which reads as そしな and I think this could be a good word to put on WK. The reading for 品 is different from the one WK teaches (ひん). WK already teaches us 15 different words with the reading ひん/ぴん, but none has this しな. Not sure how common it is, but the word 粗品 itself has 30 million entries on Google and it would be a good exception to add to WK, I guess :man_shrugging:

Sorry if I commented on the wrong post, but didn’t want to create a new one just because of this. The update was somehow related so… :slight_smile:

I’ve also encountered 手品 and 手品師 (Magic Trick and Magician) with the same reading for 品 (although with rendaku).

Not sure if it really needs to be added, more like a FYI :slightly_smiling_face:

Good examples!

I mean, it’s not like this is a big problem, because it isn’t. I just thought that if WK’s goal is to teach you Kanji, having a different reading would make sense.

It’s not like there’s 15 words with the ひん reading:

Please send all vocabulary/kanji addition suggestions to hello@wanikani.com!

We used to have a spreadsheet of requests, but it grew very, very large and some people started adding not so helpful things to it. Anyway, if you think there is a word that:

1. Helps reinforce a reading that isn’t represented
  2. Is common enough (not something that’s specific to a weird underground field)
  3. Is appropriate (don’t ask me to add “wet dream” again, I promise I’ll block you)

Now I have a small, private spreadsheet where I keep track of these words. We won’t be adding any new words very soon (there are much more important changes in the works) but they will be added eventually.

3 Likes

Sent! :slight_smile: Thanks for letting me know how to proceed.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.