WaniKani Updates June 28, 2017

Guruing 90% of the level’s kanji is all that matters. Since you didn’t get any new kanji your progress will not be affected.

3 Likes

Appreciate the quick answer :slight_smile:

perfectionism… the truest enemy of language learning

seriously, I would join a support group if there was one.

1 Like

Funny how the two words I struggled with for a long time 才人 and 年来 have been removed.

Also 年来 is a lot easier to remember the meaning of, now that I can think of it as a suffix.

1 Like

It’s so weird having reviews again…
It’s somewhere between 懐かしい and 煩わしい :sweat:

3 Likes

Dictators are made when Justice Kennedy resigns and is replaced by another Scalia/Gorsuch type.

Your stats page looks so weird now. Maybe you can edit that wall of shame for us. :stuck_out_tongue:

I got in trouble in Japanese class for this :sob:

Ego (radical) → level 19
Righteousness (radical) → level 20 (it uses the ego radical)
Deliberation (kanji) → level 20 (it uses the righteousness radical)

So only 1 level before its first Kanji :wink:

Same problem here… g
It is always driving me crazy if it is JIN or NIN …

Too late for me :stuck_out_tongue: I learned Righteousness (radical) in level 20 and used it straight away for the kanji, but only learned Ego (radical) in level 26 hahah.

But then again I’ve already learned that that kanji from the Ego radical means “I” from learning Mandarin, so there’s that.

Way too late for me too :wink:
Mandarin probably helps so much in Kanji learning. According to all the languages you already know, learning japanese must be a piece of cake for you!

Damnit, why didn’t I see this earlier? I was so confused about 札 suddenly becoming 〜札, that I thought ‘maybe I forgot I learned this word but it can’t be the same reading as 札 since it has a dash, right?’. Totally messed with my not-too-well-already mood

2 Likes

Haha my Mandarin is only around intermediate level though, so starting from around level 15 onwards I start to see lots of characters I haven’t learned before. Every now and then I still see some “old friends”, but not as many as before :stuck_out_tongue: Plus: the grammar is nothing alike, to the surprise of the previously ignorant me :stuck_out_tongue:

Somehow rather than comparing Japanese to any other languages, my brain thinks of it as math :o It’s so…pattern based. Apply formula and tada, sentence. (Of course it doesn’t always work, but I feel it works a lot with Japanese). Or maybe cos I grew up learning Math the Japanese way :sweat_smile: (My mom is a Kumon instructor)

I’m looking forward to the radical overhaul that’s in the works. Hope it goes smoothly! Thank you staff for continuously updating WK :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait, you mean to tell me there is NOU FARMING anymore?

5 Likes

I was pretty sure I burned those both a long time ago. Definitely burned 先年. Do they stick around on the burn lists for people who already did, or in the review queues for people who already did the lessons, I wonder?

Nah, they’re entirely removed from the system. It’s like they were never there in the first place. Check out the URL that used to be 先年 – it just redirects you to the dashboard with WaniKani’s generic “not found” message.

Incidentally, they redirect you with a 302 Found response for some reason. Seems like an odd choice to me, seeing as it was quite literally not found. I guess they didn’t want a separate error page, for some reason, so they chose a redirect code… and they happened to choose the literal opposite of 404 Not Found.

That is odd.

And boo to total removal! I would have liked to keep my burned items burned, at the very least. Now it’s like I’ve made less progress. *sniffs*

EDIT: Also, your link to 先年 gave me 先生. *shrugs*
Rather than any error.

Obscure is just testing you, obviously (the link points at 先生, not 先年).

Mine said this. It was kinda cute.