WaniKani teaching somewhat rare vocab first

Could be a good way of practicing grammar points involving conditional + いいです, though!

Yeah, I don’t know where people would get the silly idea that you’re forbidden or discouraged from learning grammar outside of anyone’s schedule. Tofugu has advice on what they believe the best way to plan your learning, and they structure their tools around that advice (hence, in part, the original topic of this post), but they also offer plenty of resources on how to work outside that plan for people who prefer that way.

1 Like

Ya I think the people who have problems learning 2 srs systems are about the efficiency. There are diminishing returns. I will use biking as an example.

If you are biking at a moderate pace you are at maximum efficiency (energy per distance) , and you can get there in a moderate time. This is what WaniKani is. (OK WaniKani is not 100% efficient, but pretend it is for this example). This is really good for a lot of people, maybe they don’t need Japanese as much, their job is busier, or they just plain don’t want to work any harder. It’s all good.

If you want to get there 15% faster you need to go 15% faster. Unfortunately this means that you have to put in 20% more energy. (The numbers are just there to make it more clear, please use a grain of salt with them). This is what using 2 SRS systems is. You learn more words faster, but the energy per word is higher. I have a lot of free time on my hands, live in Japan, and just enjoy learning it. So I don’t mind spending more energy to learn it quicker. Plus its fun to try out new words with my poor students. This works for me.

Of course if you push yourself too hard and end up falling off the bike it’s no good. It’s important to make sure you have enough energy for the whole bike ride, not just the beginning.

Anyways that’s my very long winded, off topic rant. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

PS

@Leebo

3 Likes

While studying 学ぶ today, there was a really helpful note in the meaning explanation:

There is another word that means “to learn” that is going to be more common, which is 習う. You’ll learn this one later on. 学ぶ sounds a little more serious compared to 習う, so keep that in mind when you use it.

This is exactly what we need! I really appreciate comparisons like this and believe WK should extend this to more items (like the aforementioned 世)

P.S. also learned 世の中 now, so I get why 世 was important :wink:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.