WaniKani Study Buddy Race - 2022, All Aboard!

Current level 14
User name mkalbert
Last reset was sometime in Q4 2021 - reset from level 30 to level 8 after not using WK for 9 months or so!
Joined July 21, 2017
About 10/11 days per level
Starting level in the race: 14
Just joining today so none so far
522 burned turtles

皆さん、初めまして。よろしく願いします!

5 Likes

welcome!
are you ok to add yourself to the table? just click on the edit button and create a new row for yourself at level 14. lemme know if you need help :slight_smile:

edit: @Mkalbert i moved you up to level 14 in the table. all the best!

2 Likes

Cool, I was debating whether or not I would like to join the study buddy race, but now I know.

I’m in. :sparkles:

14 Likes

yeah! my fav kuroneko!
will you be my buddy?

5 Likes

Heck yeah! :cat2: Saiba be best cat buddy to have right here

11 Likes

9 Likes

At first I though you were joking. You weren’t joking tho, were you? Please tell me this is sarcasm

12 Likes

In all seriousness, on the topic of study buddy, hard work has its place but relying on others when you’re feeling unmotivated is nice. Other peoples enthusiasm is pretty contagious when you’re feeling wishy washy.

19 Likes

Honestly? Yeah!

It’s great we’re all trying to make Level 30/60 before the end of 2023, and I feel like we’ll be able to do it.

When in doubt, I can always ask for advice if I get stuck on a level and go from there. ^^

Leeet’s goooo! :fire:

14 Likes

I had exactly the same response :joy:

\textcolor{orange}{\huge \textsf{LET'S GOOOOOO BUDDIES!}}

10 Likes

Now off I go to slay these dastardly lessons. ; v ;

15 Likes

So a few days ago I finished my fastest level yet! Finished level 5 in ~11 days and…

I thoroughly regret it. SO MUCH VOCAB! Going to go a little slower for level 6…

9 Likes

yep, sometimes you don’t have a real benefit from finishing a level quickly. I also go a little slower for this level because I rushed through the last one and started this level with 140+ vocab. In the end my average stays the same

5 Likes

Question as a n00b: if I start feeling like I’m struggling to remember new lessons for a couple of days, does it make sense to just do reviews for a couple of days and not do any new lessons? Or does that go against the SRS process for any reason :thinking:

7 Likes

It absolutely makes sense. I think it is exactly as the SRS process intends.

SRS is not about speed or forcing yourself. It’s more about finding the right speed. When you’re going too fast, just step off the gas for a second. Keeping your speed under control really helps against losing motivation because you’re drowning in reviews.

Good luck!

6 Likes

Thank you!! That makes me feel better. I’m also taking a Japanese course that has vocab each week as well as grammar lessons and I can tell my ability to absorb WaniKani will fluctuate with my mental load at work etc. I have a tendency to obsess over things then burn out so I’m going to try to take my time here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just coming here to wish you fun in your studies. Sometime it feels like it will never end, keep going trough darkness, no matter what fellow learner :smiley:

I’m almost lvl30 so unfortunately i cannot join you in this ride.

6 Likes

You can definitely join! Just aim for level 60 if you want

5 Likes

There is a few of us on/around level 30 here already, and I see no reason why more would hurt! :333 So do please join us if you’re up for the race - the atmosphere around here is very pleasant, and everyone is super helpful and supportive :3

4 Likes

helllo L11 - am now in pain!

9 Likes