WaniKani Study Buddy Race - 2022, All Aboard!

i use jack frost for this
am french as well but i rarely use french mnemonics. except for funny stuff like shitsu (which literally means poo on in french)

you’re a bad, bad boy! or maybe you’re just that manly?

4 Likes

Just joined WaniKani this year, this looks like a fun way to stay accountable! Hi everyone!

11 Likes

You gotta love when you have a pile of vocab to do and most of it jukugo words lol

4 Likes

I did 80+ lessons yesterday and now I want to cry

6 Likes

I love seeing everyone’s questions here since I’m new, its all so helpful to be thinking about. And I’m already so excited to have gotten to level 3, I can start to imagine how cool it is to eventually get to 60 :joy: I was starting to feel like maybe I was going too slowly until I suddenly jumped from 14 to 104 lessons after one round of reviews haha.

8 Likes

Me reading this with 60 reviews undone, but wanting to do 50 lessons right now

4 Likes

Everytime the same… Being happy about finishing one level until I see the amount of open lessons:

Felt pretty tired the last few days and only did about 10 lessons per day…

7 Likes

Congrats on levelling up :partying_face:

10 lessons per day is my goal/minimum, so you’re doing great in my books :wink: and you should feel mega proud of yourself for keeping up with some lessons even on days when you’re feeling tired! So give yourself a manly race pat on the back :racing_car: :smiley:

3 Likes

Can I still join this race? I just recently reset so this would be a good way to stay motivated.

8 Likes

I almost never use them either but some english ones feel pretty hard to stick in my mind!

Lol same here for shitsu. I just imagine a shitsu “qui se chie dessus”. And i instantly remember the kanjis involved like “Fault”. :laughing:

3 Likes

Oooo I am joining this! I have been looking for a way to connect and stay motivated with other people. Looking forward to racing with everyone! I want to try to do this and the 0/0 streak going at the same time!

6 Likes

Of course! Welcome!

1 Like

Just hit level 6 - got 143 lessons as soon as I levelled up and an email saying most people struggle from level 6-10. Lets gooooo~

7 Likes

Good Luck Everyone! Getting involved in race treads especially one that is filled with cheerleaders was the best thing I ever did during my kanji journey.

6 Likes

Congrats all the new level uppers and new challengers!

I got to level 13 this morning. I got through it a bit too quickly, so I think I’m going to try to slow down this time around. (I mean, I know I should slow down because I’m still a little shaky on a handful items from level 12.) It might be a race, but it’s important to pace yourself too!

7 Likes

Probably not :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Although i was at level 23 only once before now quite some time ago the items were still somewhat familiar, making it way easier. Same will be somewhat true for 24 probably; hopefully. Hm. Countdown to watching me complain in a few days …

Also, I still have to figure out how how to combine not speedrunning with getting to 0/0 a level. Or rather: where is the best point to actually hit 0/0? Ignoring reviews (those i still wanna 0 almost daily), I guess when doing the last batch of the new kanji lessons? :thinking:
After a level up I’ll do the last level’s vocabs + radicals. Push those to Apprentice 3 or so, then start doing batches of kanji. I could hit 0/0 before the radicals are guru’d but that’s moving too fast think. Yeah, something along these lines, let’s see. Countdown to watching me complain in a few weeks … xD

3 Likes

nice

I finally got through all the Vocab and just pushed through my Radicals, certainly doing it a bit faster since starting the race. I might even achieve an under 10 day level.

3 Likes

Why is it so important to hit 0/0? I personally never see it, haha, because I intentionally cultivate a small backlog of lessons so that I always have work to do every day (I do 10-12 lessons each day, every day). As long as you’re getting around to the vocab lessons in a relatively timely manner, I don’t think not reaching 0 lessons every level will hurt you. It seems like focusing so much on zeroing your lessons might be forcing you into an unsustainable schedule.

5 Likes

looks like i hit it consistently around the time when i have guru’d 5 - 10 radicals and kanji (each). i know for some, it’s around the end. a guru’d rad gives you 1 - 2 kanji usually and a guru’d kanji gives you 1 - 5 vocab or thereabout. that’s what you need to think about.

it’s not really!
i chose to make this one objective of mine because it’s satisfying and stops vocab from accumulating and trickling over to the next levels. i’ve fallen prey to the temptation of leveling up with too many vocab left many times.

4 Likes

Good question. For one I just enjoy seeing it and provides an additional sense of accomplishment. It also pushes me to actually do all the vocab lessons and not letting them pile up (preventing reorder abuse), because that’s what happened otherwise :sweat_smile:

3 Likes