WaniKani Study Buddy Race - 2023, All Aboard!

There’s a good chance I’m mistaken, but my intuition is that the readings relate to different types of mo(o)nths.

つき seems to reference the moon specifically, so 毎月 would be “every moon (cycle)” which now just means “every month”.

がつ seems to be used for specific months like 一月 for January, and with 何月 as “what (specific) month?”

げつ remains as the general relative month, with 今月 “this month”, 来月 “next month”, 月末 “month’s end”, and 三ヶ月 “three months”.

11 Likes

How about 日 にち/じつ? Is it just memorization? Any tips? I’ve been trying to tie the meaning to jeans or Nintendo, but it gets confusing (do I wear jeans every day 毎日 or play Nintendo every day?). Wish WaniKani helped more on these, other than just “you should know this, just remember it’s the じつ reading.”

3 Likes

Thank you so much! That makes a lot more sense to me now.

1 Like

Not sure if this is helpful to you (or even misleading in the long run), but to me it seems にち is used when daycount is involved.

One day (count) - いちにち
Every day (well, this is a “count” with some imagination) - まいにち
How many days? - なんにち

As for why 両日 doesn’t use the にち-reading: It means “Both days”, but its emphasis isn’t really the number two. It is that something holds for a special set of days (which just happens to contain two elements).

5 Likes

Another way I like to think of this is to associate にち to the actual sun and じつ to “day with a meaning”.

This ties to my other answer because the way you’d count days is by counting the amount of suns you see emerging from and sinking into the horizon.

This would also explain why にち is used for 日光, since were talking about a property of the sun. And にちようび is the weekday of the sun (or just “sunday”)

Now, じつ becomes necessary because the suns of two different days are the same. So we can’t seperate holidays from weekdays by just looking at the sun. This is why じつ is used, to give an actual meaning to the days.

5 Likes

A serious procrastinator joins the race!

No, seriously! I have put off learning Japanese for about 20 years!! It even took me about 2 months to sign up after a colleague at work recommended this site to me!!
Besides learning to read and speak this amazing language (and finally being able to read the manga I collected over the year :sweat_smile: ), I hope to change this aspect of myself and become a better person.
So thank you @VividStrike for creating this thread and good luck to everyone!

9 Likes

Thank you, these are helpful! Any tips for 人 じん/にん?

3 Likes

warm welcome @emiri_learns_jp @RobertP and @Borsoe and welcome back @Dwiggle!!!

hard relate lol.
this time’s the charm fosho.
i did reset from 40 to 1 last year but am gonna go to 60 this time.

5 Likes

I finally leveled up to Level 13!! :partying_face: :partying_face:

13 Likes

Hooray advanced by a level since joining this and I finally passed the 1k mark for my burned items :crabigator:

11 Likes

I’m at 33/34 kanji at lv9. need to wait 15 hrs before i level up. Think this is the first time I’ll be leveling up in less than 10 days. Waiting is so frustrating. lol

8 Likes

Just reached level 5 :partying_face:

Thank you fellow manly racers for the added motivation for me to get there pronto!

皆さま、頑張って!

7 Likes

I should get lvl 8 in like 2 days!
Some mnemonics are kinda hard here! Like 弱 is じゃく. I find it super hard for a non native English speaker to remember it. If there’s any French who has better mnemonics here, feel free to share. :pleading_face:

3 Likes

I’m not French but maybe instead of using the name “Jack” in the mnemonic you can try “Jacques”

Jacques is a really weak person so he has to use two ice bows to compensate.”

5 Likes

This, buddy, will do the trick for me! :heart_eyes:
I’ll come more often to get your help if you’re this efficient for every Kanji!

Thanks! :innocent:

2 Likes

Sure I’ll definitely try!

1 Like

ATTENTION ALL MANLY RACERS! THIS IS WHAT I WANT YOUR REVIEW PILE TO LOOK LIKE!

NO EXCUSES!

Capture

Keep up all the hard work everyone! We’re all hitting 60!

9 Likes

Updated my row! :relaxed: And still with no review backlogs yay

Hope I can keep this up for the rest of the year!

4 Likes

I pulled an Icarus and flew too close to the sun, taking on 50+ lessons in one day is pretty brutal.

11 Likes

I also couldn’t help myself and speedran the level again. Surely this will never come to haunt me ever :eyes:

3 Likes