WaniKani Study Buddy Race - 2023, All Aboard!

Thanks, and good luck to you too!

3 Likes

I’m making steady progress still … although I’ve been very busy at work and so to not stagnate I may or may not have indulged in a bit of script abuse, only doing level-up-related items, slowly building up a pile of “lesser” reviews :eyes: :laughing:

5 Likes

I’m having trouble setting up the leech trainer. Also how do you guys study similar looking kanji? Is there a user script for it?

2 Likes

Hmmm… I try to divide them in their radical components and think some weird story on my own so they remain longer in my brain: Just mixing those mnemotechnic principles usually works for me.

Example:
他 (other): one leader riding an alligator is certainly OTHER fatality before the day ends.

地 (earth): some dirt over the same alligator… It makes me sad thinking that beautiful animal will turn into EARTH after decomposing :cry:

2 Likes

I think there’s a script but I don’t know it. Usually if i get a kanji wrong because i thought it was something else, i immediately open wanikani in another tab and search for the other kanji, and compare them. I’ve found that’s helped so far, but I’m not sure how effective it will be in the long run.

1 Like

There is the Niai visually similar kanji script, which lets you easily compare kanji that are similar to you without leaving the reviews page. If I notice I’m getting something confused, I’ll add it to my visually similar kanji list mid-review and compare them right there.

3 Likes

Reset, and joined, 2022 is my year, because I didn’t start in January it’s not a new years resolution either :sunglasses:

10 Likes

Oh no, I’ll probably level up today but I’m totally not prepared yet, aaah! :sweat_smile:

brb doing reviews …

9 Likes

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

2 Likes

314 is a concerning number. Good luck clearing that review pile.

2 Likes

welcome to WK (again) and the race @Bayobails!

4 Likes

Thanks but I already took care of it :smile: After all these years anything below 500 doesn’t bother me that much anymore and only 1000+ is truly scary …

2 Likes

:scream::scream::scream:

I already feel pressured by seeing a pile over 100

7 Likes

13 Likes

I’m in 7th heaven, or maybe I need a gif from Kurosawa’s masterpiece (seven samurai, not yojimbo) ~ or applauding cats, or something…
Sadly I’m a digital immigrant
(I remember when ‘pong’ was released!),
and learning to insert a gif into a post, on an iPad, is taking me away from my newly refilled lesson queue and is something I’ll try and catch up with by the next level up, promise :joy:

7 Likes

find a gif you like by typing samurai cat gif in google and just copy paste the link here

7 Likes

Thank you!
I will practise this skill before level 8 :joy:

btw - what is the Japanese idiom for “teaching an old dog new tricks”?
(asking for a friend;:rofl:)

7 Likes

Gonna level up tomorrow. Waiting for the last few kanji is always hard
5_more_kanji

9 Likes

I feel you - sometimes I think that’s the hardest part of each level… :rofl:

3 Likes

The pace of 14-day levels is extremely enjoyable. I think I’ll just try to keep that up until the end, because not only is doing daily reviews way more feasable but it seems to positively impact learning and retention. Shouldn’t be surprising I guess :sweat_smile:

7-day running average shows well when i changed pace; more than counteracting the additional burn reviews.

Here are the actual daily review numbers. Apparently when going fast there will inevitably occur days with 300 - 400 reviews, while the latest spike was due to slacking a tiny little bit for one, two, three days.

3 Likes