WaniKani Study Buddy Race - 2023, All Aboard!

Ok, I’ve never done anything at all interactive on here because I am HORRIBLE at keeping up with communication, but I’ve giving it a try! Here’s hoping this helps to keep me accountable :slight_smile:

11 Likes

well this seems fun! I’m always down for some friendly competition.

I was doing really well last year until I got wrecked by the stress hurricane and felt strong-armed into dropping Japanese for months. :frowning_face: makes me cringe. but I’ve just recently started to make some actual progress on what was a 1200+ review stack, and I’m looking forward to making more progress in the new year. お互いに頑張りましょね! :blush:

6 Likes

This is exactly what I was looking for! This was my first year using wanikani and it was a disaster. I stoped twice, once in level four and again in level nine, for months… Only stopping by eventually to review. It’s been about a month since I really came back, tackled my 1000+ review pile, and slowly, but surely, start progressing again. Hopefully I’ll keep the pace and next year I’ll be half way there (I’m one of the slowests on the board, so it’ll surely feel good) (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

7 Likes

me too but welcome!

Congrats both of you for tackling the 1000+ review pile, I haven’t had that happen yet but it is definitely a win to get through that!

also welcome to the competition

5 Likes

Count me in!

5 Likes

All around the world we’re shifting into the 2022 sphere and I’d like to take a moment to officially state that the race is on! Of course people have already started their jog, myself included, but I thought that making the starting point clear might boost everyones spirits! I hope you’re all eager to get the show on the road, I just crushed my 30 lesson stack in celebration and urge everyone who might have lessons lingering around to do the same.

I’d also like to recommend the Self Study Quiz script if you guys wanted to consolodate your efforts on things you might be having trouble with. Do be careful with its use though! WaniKani is set up to train retention by making you wait for your reviews, try not to use the study quiz everytime you have a little bit of trouble!

If anybody else has any neat recomendations to help with learning, script or otherwise, please do share!

15 Likes

I have 189 lessons… I want to but I am scared

1 Like

Take out 39!

2 Likes

Hi ty for making this I’d love to join :3 Looking forward to learning more kanji!

5 Likes

I’m jogging close to level 6 :slight_smile: watch out

4 Likes

Please add me. I’d love to join the race! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

From my experience, dividing them in manageable chunks works well. I learn 30 new radicals/kanji/words every day. It’s helped me reduce the number of lessons while not feeling too overwhelmed.
Good luck!

5 Likes

Happy new year everyone.
I hope you’re not all too messed up after your new year party! :slight_smile:
Will you all the best and let’s climb together those damn levels! :muscle:

6 Likes

Count me in! I just started wanikani in december, and I wish I found it sooner! My husband is quarter japanese so I want to learn japanese so i could chat with our relatives when visiting japan and could read anything japanese… I may a bit slow but I’ll try to reach level 30 by the end of 2022!

8 Likes

I hope I’m not too late! I’ve been a WaniKani free member since way back 2014 but only recently picked it up again and finally decided to go Lifetime this year. Hope to have a great time learning kanji alongside everyone!

10 Likes

How do you find the file location to edit the code? When installing it doesn’t allow me to edit the source code.

1 Like

If you click the icon for the plugin you used to install the script in the toolbar of your browser there should be an option to edit the script.

2 Likes

I’m pretty close to level 4 myself, I should have it by Tuesday at the latest.

1 Like

Thank you very much! Due to some other extensions my extension buttons were hidden and I didn’t know how to find them. I was able to track them down and make the edit, much appreciated!

2 Likes

I’m working through a ~700 item deep backlog of reviews before doing any new lessons so it’s gonna take me a while to get to the next level :sweat_smile: but still, I find this study buddy race very motivating!

I’m only doing 50 reviews a day to avoid overwhelming myself again, and when I get back to doing lessons I’m only gonna do 10 new lessons a day max (unless I find some of the lessons very easy, then I can do more).

Will slow and steady win the race? Stay tuned and find out :crazy_face:

7 Likes