Wanikani screenshots 📸

Portugal

Edit: wow @jprspereira that was really quick i didnt even get time to blink

We’re in the golden age of the Mongol Empire! Pax Mongolica reigns over the world and land trade is repopularized via the silk road. Kublai Khan (grandson of Gengis) has established the first foreign dynasty in China, and wants to expand eastward into Japan. Japan is… not a fan. Our dude tries to take over the island twice, and both times his forces are kept at bay until typhoons arrive and wreck the armada. Needless to say, he doesn’t try again. This, by the way, is where the Japanese concept of ‘Divine Wind’(神風)originates from.

Elsewhere, Wales loses its independence to England and becomes a colony. It would later be annexed into the Kingdom and remains a part of it until today.

I love to come here for my fresh and juicy history lesson.

I’ve always loved the story behind the kamikaze concept

Thanks. Can you do some reviews, and tell us about the Heian period?

Too many errors on a radical from 4 levels ago.

Welcome to leechtown, population 39.

so i have never been sure (i think that i sometimes look it up, but then subsequently forget soon after) which order books title 上巻・下巻 go in… but hopefully i will remember after learning this time hahaha
30%20pm

I only just learned these for the first time on WK. I picture it like a stack of books you haven’t read. Of course the first volume is on top, you want to start with that one

My favourite YA trilogy

ah, that’s a good way to remember!

Yeah, for the first time in months I did a 100% with more than 15 items in a review.
59 in 22 minutes and most of them apprentice with around 37 seconds per answer.
If I add the raclette I will eat, I can say it’s a good day :smiley:

Open rebellion in China made the political climate very unstable, and Japan halted both trade and diplomatic relations. Turns out, some breathing room was all it needed to get a cultural explosion started- 平安時代 was quickly underway.

Katakana and Hiragana get invented because of feminine ingenuity, leading to a ton of interest in language and writing. In fact, the world gets it’s first novel - 源氏物語 (Tale of Genji) - because a sharp woman wanted to entertain her colleagues at court. We know now that it ends up a masterpiece.

With all this art, court life is decadent and the Emperor and co are not super into ‘ruling’ and ‘policing’. So if you want to guard your stuff, you have to find people for hire. Enter the Samurai. They’re a big deal from the start, and keep getting bigger and bigger. In fact, they get so big that they push the Emperor aside and install their own seat of power - the Shogunate. This branch of government would see Japan through all its highs and lows until the middle of the 19th century.

Around the world: Canada gets discovered by Vikings, Macbeth (yes, that one) is alive and plotting (probably), and Islam is the new fad of the land.

And a lvl 36 vocabulary item

Thanks for the lesson!

this is what my dashboard looks like now. the crazyness comes from me returning from a 3 year break, then doing 1800 reviews in one day, burning 1000 of these items, then resetting to 20 from 24 (my retention rate on those last 4 levels was just too bad).

It looks peaceful

Great for a new start :slight_smile:

yes, it is peaceful. after that 1800er session, even too much so. you’d expect the first few weeks to be turbulent, but i burned most and reset the bulk of what was left, and now i only have few remaining. i did my lessons as always, all in one go, which means i now have a period in which nothing at all happens.

wonder what lvl 60 migh feel like. less remaining every burn, and one day, the lights go out.

Very few have accomplished that, let’s be one of them

You know, just to know what it feels like

i want to burn everything for one more reason: in case new content comes, or should i ever feel the need to resurrect a few things, having a battlefield waiting for me would deter me from coming back to do it.
that’s also why i’ll get lifetime when a sale shows up.

@MissMisc is almost there :slight_smile:

The legendary level 61